Author Topic: A flood of criticism  (Read 7701 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
A flood of criticism
« on: December 30, 2015, 22:16:39 PM »
Is it right that the head of the Environment Agency in England is being criticised for not curtailing his holiday earlier.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: A flood of criticism
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 23:14:52 PM »
Erm

Yes

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 03:08:13 AM »
Yes it is right John and if I was him I too would NOT have curtailed my holiday because what the feck difference could one body make ?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
confused.com

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 09:38:30 AM »
The Head of the Environment agency is paid approximately £250.000 to fulfill the purpose of the Agency which is: " "to protect or enhance the environment, taken as a whole ... Protection of the environment relates to threats such as flood and pollution." If he doesn't make any difference why the hell are we paying him a quarter of a million quid a year? He should be on duty.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 09:55:36 AM »
Of course he should have returned. Still based on this years new year honours list it shouldn't stop him getting some gong or enhanced gong in a year or two. Three cheers for the British Honours system, KGBs allround!!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 11:24:15 AM »
Defra is the government department that has overall national responsibility for policy on flood and coastal erosion risk management, and provides funding for flood risk management authorities through grants to the Environment Agency and local authorities.

If I were the head of the Environment Agency who had had to deal with repeated cuts to my budgets over the preceding years, cuts to local authority budgets who too have responsibility, who had all the advice about the flood risks to the public, businesses, towns and the environment ignored by the government, who had watched while vast subsidies were paid to the grouse shooting estate owners and friends of those in government and to farmers to clear vast swathes of the countryside of its trees and hedgerows I think I would have stayed exactly where I was and let those ultimately responsible for the disastrous consequences take the flack!

Of course of George Osborne the Chancellor responsible for ongoing cuts in funding there has been neither sight nor sound. David Cameron who heads the party responsible for the ideological austerity cuts on public services that have been imposed on the British people of which the Environment Agency is just one, to pay through the nose for those in the financial sector and banks who jeopardized the economic security of the British people with impunity, didn't even have the balls to face the wrath of people affected by the floods. He confined his recent visit to the affected areas to only meeting with those from the armed services who would be constrained by protocol from expressing opinions.

Whether or not the head of the Environment Agency stayed on holiday is just a red herring to detract from those really responsible for ensuring the people are protected.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »
Meanwhile 'our' Jezz turns up in York today, is asked why it's taken him so long to show his smug face and he answers "I didn't want to get in the way"

What he really means his it's taken him almost a week and he still can't find a link to the flooding and bombing Syria!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 12:16:51 PM »

It wouldn't have happened under Labour would it.??  They had 13 years unopposed to sort out our rivers but silted

them up with the £billions they poured down the drain.    ;)  ;)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 12:24:14 PM »
I would expect nothing less from Tory apologists to try and detract from the issue with irrelevancies and attempt to shift the blame. There is only so long you can blame previous governments and I think six years is well past that used by date.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf