Author Topic: Where to start???  (Read 10194 times)

Offline Gilly1

• Gillian Grundy
Where to start???
« on: January 03, 2016, 15:39:39 PM »
Hi, We have had out villa in Ovacik for over 10  years now and we think this year,  the time is right to spend nearly all out time in Turkey. Now that the rule has change about bringing a car to Turkey (and can leave it there for 2 years) we have decided to drive over, stopping in the different countries on the way and make an adventure of it just taking our time. We will obviously get residency but just don't know how to go about it regarding entering the country. Do we get a tourist visa and apply for residency  once we are there, or apply online before we start? We would like to bring some household items with us making use of the space in the car (no electricals) but I believe you have to be a resident to do this would this apply to small  items such as mirrors, coffee table stools etc. Its all so confusing we don't know where to start. We would be so grateful for any advise which way to turn to make our trip as hassle free as possible. Thanking you in anticipation.

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
Re: Where to start???
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 18:21:48 PM »
Think you would apply for tourist visa to enter then apply for residency when you are here. Have not heard anything about not being allowed goods in unless it is a new rule. Good idea is to check Doc Martin on Facebook. Nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 18:58:29 PM »
Wish I could advise but I'm sure someone here will be along soon to offer some guidance.  Sounds very exciting  :)

Offline thekeyclan

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 21:22:46 PM »
I would agree with 1calis, Doc Martin on Facebook has a very well documented section dedicated to this minefied!

Offline Gilly1

• Gillian Grundy
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 21:33:51 PM »
Thanks for all your replies, I did read that you had to be a resident to bring household items  in but thought that they meant container loads or electricals. I would just be filling the car with things like mirrors, small tables and a rug or two. It will be an exiting trip and intend taking our time and just stopping when we fell like it.

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 19:10:27 PM »
Hi all, looking to drive from the uk  (portsmouth) to calis could anyone recommend a good road atlas for this drive , will also be looking to update the satnav for the journey, thanks in advance.

Lee

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 19:24:56 PM »
Just a bulk standard road atlas of Europe is sufficient.

Another alternative is to plan your route using either Google Earth or Via Michelin and then print it.

It's quite a simple route really. Draw a straight line from Calais to Istanbul and there are 2 or 3 lane roads virtually all the way.

Just make sure you've got enough Euros and TL with you to cover the various tolls and vignettes to be paid at the borders. Oh, and make sure your Green Card definitely covers you for Turkey. Not all do.

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 19:51:42 PM »
Thanks KKOB that helps a lot,

Lee

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 20:39:52 PM »
Also try Jim Fraser, who is a member here.  He moved to Fethiye from Scotland and drove a van all the way across with lots of household stuff, so he can give you good advice.  Just p.m him on CBF.

Offline lissa

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 07:35:07 AM »
I would ask the inspector on here. Laws change so fast, or are implemented in different ways, so anyone who has driven in the past might have been governed by now out of date rules, the inspector will probably have up to date info. He can also help you with residency once you are here.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf