Author Topic: Veal Welfare in Turkey  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Veal Welfare in Turkey
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 11:07:58 AM »
Hilary won't eat any veal but I'm happy with rose. I imagine any veal served in Turkey will be white.

Offline sadler

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 11:13:33 AM »
Agree totally with Hilary, Colwyn. Never tasted veal and never intend to. There are plenty of other things out there.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 13:52:44 PM »
I think I may have had veal once but it always concerned me about the crated calves.  Now the farmers keep the calves for up to 6 months and then they are sent for slaughtered, so I suppose we should not be too concerned. As we eat chicken that is 12 weeks old, Spring lamb and beef that is killed at 30 months old.
If the veal calves were not used for meat, they would be killed at birth as the Dairy Farmers could not keep them for a longer period of time if they could not sell them. I suppose we have to face facts that we nearly all use milk too and calves being born enable us to have milk.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 15:03:51 PM »
Now the farmers keep the calves for up to 6 months and then they are sent for slaughtered, so I suppose we should not be too concerned... If the veal calves were not used for meat, they would be killed at birth
Given the way white veal is raised, slaughter at birth would - in my opinion - be the more humane option. However, I am prepared to listened to informed opinion that judges otherwise.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 15:24:15 PM »
And then there's calves liver which many people enjoy too. I've rarely had veal but I do like calves liver with sage butter. When I make snitzel I use flattened chicken breasts.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 15:47:11 PM »
Lotty, continental Europe tends to source calves' liver from white veal production; the UK sources it from rose veal calves. So I guess, philosophically, your decision on eating veal ought to match your decision on eating liver. But I suppose not many of us undertake such contemplative consideration before deciding on dinner.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 15:53:46 PM »
To be honest I actually prefer a chicken snitzel to veal. I really like calves liver but it's quite rare (literally!) that I have it.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf