Author Topic: Could RTE be Right?  (Read 3729 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Could RTE be Right?
« on: July 30, 2016, 11:33:40 AM »
I've pondered this and thought I would throw it out for discussion  :)

There are many theories in regard to the recent coup attempt - but could it actually be the case that it was masterminded by Fetullah Gülen and his supporters? I thought that was just paranoia and/or someone convenient to blame at the time but could it be true? The actions taken since the attempted coup really show how influential this movement is - schools etc. If there are (were) so many Gülen supporters throughout the education system, military etc it could be organised surely?

I don't know anything like enough to be able to answer the question so what do you guys think?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Could RTE be Right?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 11:52:26 AM »
There are many theories in regard to the recent coup attempt - but could it actually be the case that it was masterminded by Fetullah Gülen and his supporters?
Whatever the coup was I don't think I would describe it as "masterminded". Given the numbers of Gulen graduates in senior positions in the Army, law, civil service, journalism, education, and so on it would be just about inevitable that they would be involved in any major nation-wide activity in Turkey.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 12:08:54 PM »
On the basis that there is so much misinformation flying about regarding the failed coup then the only possible answer to your question is yes, he could be right.  However, by the same logic, he could also be wrong  :)

I don't think anyone disputes that the main protagonists involved were connected to Gulen, either directly or indirectly - some may have been members of FETO, some may not.  Again, there is a lack of accurate information available and I suspect it'll be a long time before the actual truth about this failed coup enters the public domain, if it ever does.

Make no mistake, Gulen isnt a nice guy - in fact he's probably as much an Islamist as the wee fella.  He's also a pretty clever bugger, his organisation turns over billions of USD every year which allows him to fund schools, colleges, universities and hospitals not just in Turkey, but all over the world.  He's big in Pakistan I've heard and there's a bit of diplomatic wrangling going on between Ankara and Islamabad over his schools there - Pakistan doesn't class FETO as a terrorist organisation so they're saying we don't have a problem with the extremely generous Mr Gulen. 

So, Gulen has power (FETO), he has money (lashings of it) and he's smart.  In my opinion (and that of a few folks I work with) if Gulen decided to stage a coup then it'd be done right - not this half arsed attempt we observed the other week.  When you look at the basic errors made by the "plotters", especially their failure to both capture the current regime and control the media, you have to wonder if it was ever meant to succeed...

JF

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 21:26:20 PM »

And who would stand to benefit by it's failure.??     

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 21:35:28 PM »
...and that Kevin bey is the 64,000,000tl (in a shoebox) question.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 21:37:32 PM »
Well that is the thought - a failed coup would only strengthen RTE so you would think it would be meticulous to the last detail.

So question 2: How likely is it that RTE/AKP staged the whole thing?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 00:08:13 AM »

Well the compilation of list's of suspects and the subsequent arrest and rounding up of those suspects was the stuff of Guinness Book's.    ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 09:12:06 AM »
I think they already knew who they wanted to silence and just needed a reason. The coup was either staged or it was a gift from heaven for him.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »
I find I strange that Reg knew the soldiers where coming to the Hotel in Marmaris where Reg was staying and he had already left... How did he know the soldiers were on their way. ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 12:59:23 PM »
Well that is the thought - a failed coup would only strengthen RTE so you would think it would be meticulous to the last detail.

So question 2: How likely is it that RTE/AKP staged the whole thing?

Not likely at all, in my opinion.  Way too much to lose if a sniff of it came out.  However, if you rephrased that to "How likely is it that RTE/AKP were fully aware of the whole thing, and allowed it to happen knowing that they (and MiT) were in control?", then I'd have said you were pretty close to the mark.  Or am I being overly cynical  :) ?

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf