Author Topic: buyer beware  (Read 5492 times)

Offline lissa

Re: buyer beware
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 17:10:25 PM »
Well I am probably daft but I can't see anything on TA! How do I find it? And if named on there, why can't it be shown here?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 19:29:24 PM »
Daft here too, I can't see a thing about it at TA

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 20:01:43 PM »
But if it was on Trip Advisor would you trust it?

Offline lissa

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 21:56:42 PM »
Well maybe not, but if I can't even see it, how do I know?
And sorry KKOB, I don't think zabita are the equivalent of trading standards in the uk. That is a minefield anyway.......in the uk I mean.
Zabita check market and shops, but not for this sort of thing.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 22:34:57 PM »
O.K. This is from T.A.  It was a thread started a few years ago about a Jewellery Shop someone else in the area.
These remarks where added recently.  I am only showing you what is here and am not commenting on them.
It is up to members to make up their own minds.
---------
Janet
Hi there,

I have only just read your review about Fethiye Jewellers. I have had an even worse experience last year. I paid a visit to another jewellers in the same town, just to have a browse, when another customer came in ( not Turkish, i might add!! ) to see some jewellery set with a colour changing stone called Zultanite (only mined in Turkey). On viewing several pieces, I purchased a matching pendant and ear-rings which cost me £640 pounds. Yes they did change colour, but rather too brightly. Since I was not returning to Turkey until 2017, I decided too check on-line to see if I could buy in the UK. " jewellers in my home town of Rugby had never heard of it and I was advised to get it checked by the Assay Office in Birmingham. This I did at a cost of £123 pounds (to include a written report) only to discover that the stones were just coloured glass !!

Ther was also a Trade Alert on the internet advising people not to but this stone in Turkey as it appears that there are a lot of dishonest jewellers passing off glass as the real thing This is probably unfair to the the genuine traders around, but how do you tell real from fake? As an aside, I also purchased a ring set with "Tanzanite" likely from the same place as yourself, and I had doubts about that as well since it looked much different to a piece bought from my local manufacturing jeweller! It really is a severe case of "Buyer beware"

------------------------------------------
Kim
I have used Dikkman Jewellers in Fethiye for years. On getting things assessed on return to UK found gold carat and diamond size exactly as stated on jewellery certificate and valued at over twice what I paid. You can check out gold and diamond prices online before you shop which gives you a bit of an idea. They also clean my jewellery for free every year and have their own workshop so can do alterations quickly. They are on a corner in the pedestrian steets fairly near the umbrella street
---------------------------------------
Janet
Thanks for the info . They were the jewellers that sold me the fake stones !!!. To be fair, maybe he was sold a fake batch from his gem suppplier. I will be returning next year to show him the report and see what he says. Like you say, before this occasion, other pieces I have bought have been "as described".

Offline lissa

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 23:29:24 PM »
This is not Janet's post. But...... So why did you buy them if they changed colour too brightly?  I don't know so much about these type of stones but do know that the fake ones are more bright.
But still you have not said the jeweller, is it Dikmen?

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 07:29:58 AM »
Janet's post is at the bottom Lissa - and the post above it mentions Dikkman.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf