Author Topic: Turkey and the Med  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Turkey and the Med
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:39:18 PM »
A double-decker round-the-bay boat pulls into the jetty and, once all the passengers have disembarked, all the debris of the trip has to be cleared. So plastic bottles and drink cans are dumped down the side of the jetty to be washed into the sea in the first storm - thus despoiling the waters from which the boatmen make their living. Restaurant boats are tied up around the harbour serving balik ekmek, kebabs, perhaps even burgers. What to do with the used cooking oil? Easy, just tip it over the side of the boat. The fishing and cargo boats, perhaps even the cruisers, dump their waste out at sea, of course, without the crowd of observers. The Mediterranean is a convenient cesspit. This doesn’t only happen in Turkey of course, it happens all round the Med and Turkey may not even be the worst culprit in this.

This all contributes to making the Mediterranean the most polluted sea in the world. Its abuse makes grim. Ever year it swallows an extra 650 million tons sewage; 129 thousand tons of mineral oil; 60 thousand tons of mercury; 3,800 thousand tons of lead; and 36 thousand tons of phosphates to add to the toxic porridge already there. Add to this its marine debris – in particular plastic waste that finds its way into the stomachs of fish, birds, turtles and whales – and we have a zone becoming increasingly hostile to wildlife. A “nice fresh sea bass caught locally this morning” anyone?

Environmentalists calculate that the through-flow of water is so slow that if everyone stopped dumping today, which they won’t, it would take the Med a hundred years to purge itself and become clean again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_Sea#Pollution

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Turkey and the Med
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 15:12:38 PM »
The cruise boats and fishermen dump their waste in the bays because they know that, what doesn't get eaten by fish and turtles will eventually wash up on the beaches, those crazy Yabancis will organise rubbish collection a couple of times a year.

It's the same with all the rubbish that's dumped in picnic sites, forests and roadsides.

The Turks are very proud of their country but they have utter contempt for its environment.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 15:28:48 PM »
The Turks are very proud of their country but they have utter contempt for its environment.

Its not just the Turks mate, I've seen it all over the world. 

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 15:53:46 PM »
We went on a cruise to along the Baltic and we remarked on every place we visited just how clean everything was.  Russian, Estonia, Denmark, Sweden etc., etc.,  Also so clean with no rubbish lying around.  We both kept saying we wish Turkey would be the same and wished that Turkish people would have some pride in where they live.
Russia would not allow any washing to be done on the ship for two days, the laundries were closed.  No soapy water allowed in Russia.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 11:37:24 AM »

Its not just the Turks mate, I've seen it all over the world. 

JF

Wot he said.

And England....when I was back visiting the kids recently, I relied on trains and public transport to travel around.
The flytipping and piles of rubbish down the side of rail embankments, under bridges, sides of motorways......appalling. Easily rivalled some of the rubbish-tip alleys I've seen around the Fethiye area.

We may be more environmentally-aware as a nation than Turkey, but in some areas it's certainly more in thought rather than deed.  >:(

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 12:57:24 PM »

Birmingham Council employ Litter Wardens to follow individuals around shopping centre's giving out fines for dropping crisps, cigaretette

butts, apple cores ect. But they've yet to collect money from the Traveller's, Gypsies, that every year dump hundreds of tonnes of their

filth and rubbish on our sports fields, playgrounds, commons and open spaces. The Council find it easier and far less trouble to pick on

individuals. Hypocritical cowards.       >:( >:(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 13:49:28 PM »
Far easier for them to pick on Joe Public than to have to chase-up the travellers and fly-tippers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf