Author Topic: Static IP addresses  (Read 9831 times)

Offline Ian_and_Sian

• Newly Registered
Static IP addresses
« on: March 24, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
Technically, you can only have a static IP address if you only ever connect to one single network. If I set a static IP address on my laptop it needs to be in the IP range of my router, as soon as I move to a different network with a different router then I lose all connectivity.

You're wrong.

A static, as opposed to a dynamic,  IP address is allocated by your internet provider and has nothing to do with the machine you connect with.  Most internet providers use dynamic allocation meaning when you connect to the internet your IP address can be anything within a set range.  With a static IP address, when you connect to the internet your IP address is fixed.

Generally speaking, its a simple matter to request a static IP from your internet provider.  Some make a small charge, others don't - TTNet don't charge as far as I'm aware.

It still limits you to connecting to a single router that has it's external facing IP address set. You still can't take your laptop and connect up to a different router even if the 'x' in the 192.168.x.y octet of the matches.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Static IP addresses
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:56:41 AM »
Not sure you're grasping the concept here.  Allocation of a static or dynamic IP address has got nothing to do with your router, your laptop or whatever device you use to access your internet connection.  Its your ISP who allocates it.

JF

Offline Ian_and_Sian

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
No, I do grasp it - I should do, I work in IT Support!

If the software is set to only accept data from a predefined static IP, that's if your ISP gives you a static public facing IP address for your router - any client connected to it that has the submission software could send that data.

Problem is, what happens when you are not connected to your router that has the static IP set?

Take this scenario:

I load the submission software on my laptop, it registers using the static IP address set on my router at my UK address and I can quite happily send the required data. Then I go away for a few days with my laptop. I connect it up to the WiFi in my hotel but the public facing IP of the hotel router is not recognised by the submission system so rejects my updates.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 11:27:40 AM »
If you work in IT support then why are you banging on about a router?

Allocation of static (and dynamic) IP addresses have the square root of FA to do with your router, but then again you should know that being an IT support person...

Or are you simply being deliberately obtuse because you're pıssed about the new regulations?

JF

Offline Ian_and_Sian

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 11:48:25 AM »
It may be that you have a different set up that I am not familiar with then. In all my time in IT the ISP will set IP address ranges and then that ISP's routers are then programmed to lease an address from this range for a set period before recycling the address, the router then uses DHCP to allocate internal addresses to the clients connecting to it normally in the 192.168.x.x range.

What do the static IP addresses that the ISP issues link to in your scenario?

(And yes, I'm weeed about the new regulations when I'm not a commercial enterprise looking to make an income, just someone who wants to enjoy his holiday home and is happy to let those close to me share it. So no, I'm not being obtuse, just commenting on what appears to be another layer of inconvenience, this time on a technical level)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:53:49 AM »
Anorak Wars

Offline Ian_and_Sian

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
Anorak Wars

I prefer 'Geek Games', Scunner!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 12:47:12 PM »
If I set a static IP address on my laptop it needs to be in the IP range of my router

I think you're confusing internal IP addresses and public IP addresses.  You don't need to give your device a static internal IP address, your ISP has done that already with your public IP address.  I have a static IP right now, however the machines and devices on our network are allocated their internal IP addresses by DHCP (with a few exceptions).

Here's a little primer from BT on static v dynamic IP's.

If you have a static IP from TTNet then it doesn't matter what your internal IP address is, its not passed forward and the Polis server will recognise the previously reported fixed IP address and associate it with your account therefore granting you access to the software.  If they'd wanted to be really obstructive then they'd have done it by not just IP but by MAC address also.

JF

Offline Ian_and_Sian

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 13:23:37 PM »
My point still stands though.

Regardless of the laptop/device IP (in the 192.168.x.x range set via DHCP from the router) the Polis software is still only going to recognise the static public-facing IP address my ISP has set for my 'Home' router. Not a problem if you are permanently based in one location.

Trouble is, how will the Polis system cope when I use my laptop from a different location and I do not have access to the 'Home' router?

For example, the laptop I'm using right now will show that this message was sent from IP address 165.x.x.224 as I am posting from my office but, last night when I used this same laptop to post a message while connected to my 'home' router, the sending IP address was 86.x.x.222

Hence, what I am saying about having to be logged in at one specified location in order to submit the daily reports i.e. Never be able to leave the house again   ???

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 13:24:50 PM »
Have you tried switching off, and on again ?  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf