Author Topic: Turkish SIM Card  (Read 4742 times)

Offline chrisw

Turkish SIM Card
« on: October 18, 2005, 14:24:00 PM »
Hi all

Looking through the posts i see information on calling Turkey.....but could somebody let me know how much it costs to phone or text a uk mobile if we take an unlocked mobile and buy a Turkish PAYG SIM whilst on holiday.( and where can i buy one and what cost?)

This summer our youngest daughter managed to run up a £700 bill on her sisters contract phone during the 2 weeks we were here. (shes got a paper round now!)

As we are back for 3 weeks next year i think pay as you go is a must (although why on earth you you want to phone england that often defeats me........didnt have 'em in my day.....ruddy kids.... :).)

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Turkish SIM Card
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 15:33:40 PM »
It costs 4 units a minute to phone home. I think It's the same to phone a mobile -if not someone will come on here & say. A text costs 3 units I believe. Approx cost per unit is 4p. That is with Turkcell.

Your phone will have to be unlocked if it's not triband around 15YTL & the sim card with 100units costs 35-40YTL if I remember correctly.

With Turkcell you will lose your number & have to repeat buying the simcard if it's not used for 6 months. Then again, to avoid a £700 bill I suppose that works out a far less costly option.

Linda

Offline smudge

• Calis, TR
Turkish SIM Card
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 17:09:28 PM »
Slight correction to Lindas post, 100 units = 11.5ytl and 250 units = 23.5 ytl in Fethiye. In Hisaronu earlier in the year Mrs Smudge was with our baby who we gave a Turkish name to and needed some credits for the phone and was told 45ytl for 250 units, when asked what the babies name was she told him and he assumed that she had a Turkish Husband and the price suddenly went down to 23.5 ytl, then she told him where to stuff his phone card.

Offline alanw

Turkish SIM Card
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 20:09:54 PM »
Paid 30 YTL recently for a Turkcell sim including 50 units and seemed to get a good amount of time ringing a UK land line, only thing is the credit is now finished anyone got any idea how you top up?
Thanks

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
Turkish SIM Card
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 20:23:27 PM »

Just take your phone to any shop that does top ups and if you ask them they'll do it for you, all you have to do is pay for however many units you want!

Val

Offline alanw

Turkish SIM Card
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 21:19:55 PM »
Thanks Val - now why didn't I think of that Doh!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Turkish SIM Card
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 08:14:28 AM »
Top up price (On Starcep)19 YTL for 250 Units....Guess others will be similar

Offline Ali Asterisk

Turkish SIM Card
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 08:37:21 AM »
When I bought my sim card (Turkcell) the guy in the shop told me that it had to be re-credited (or however you spell it) every 3 months and used every 210 days or you would lose it.  

But he also told me that if I went back to the shop when I was going back to the UK who would give me a code so that I could use the phone in the UK.  I would then just use it very quickly in the UK to save losing the number.  So far haven't gone for that option cos I'm generally in Turkey every month or so.

Ali

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Turkish SIM Card
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 11:10:48 AM »
Ali
I don't know about a code as when we get back to the UK it comes up on our phone as 'no service found' or something like that.
Don't know whether it matters as to what kind of phone you have or your original service? Maybe someone else can enlighten.
If anyone knows THE code - would be useful?
Linda

Offline Ali Asterisk

Turkish SIM Card
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 12:41:45 PM »
I'm over in Turkey next week.  I'll go back to the shop and see what they say!  I know what you mean about no service though so I shall query it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf