Author Topic: Rubbish  (Read 4928 times)

Offline moggy

Rubbish
« on: September 21, 2010, 22:28:30 PM »
Hi all,just had another good two weeks holiday in Koca Calis, but back now in UK. When we were there, couldn't help noticing lots of Turks rummaging through the large bins parked everywhere,I'm only guessing but I suppose looking for scrap iron, cans, bottles both glass and plastic etc.so that they can make some money .To name just one, the road that runs along past the Birlik and Mutlu is full of this kind of rubbish. Why don't the council put some workers down there to clear it all up and not only tidy the place up but create employment and maybe make a few YTL's at the same time?

Offline Eric

Rubbish
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:22:33 AM »
You are thinking logically again, STOP IT:D:D:D ;)

Offline tel

Rubbish
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 13:52:01 PM »
Hi Moggy,good question. When the mayor lived above Mutlus the road was block paved (very badly) and it was much tidier,since then it is overgrown so much that the hedges block the road somewhat and traffic prefer to pass through Denizkent Sitesi.The rubish is appalling even more so since the demise of the Garden Beach Club restaurant. The guys on bikes do check the bins which is commonplace but like you say there is so many plastic bottles,cans and beer bottles strewn along the road to keep some people going.Worse still for litter is the far end of the beach where the road has been shut off,checkout the river,canal from Telmessos.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Rubbish
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 15:02:37 PM »
Wasn't so bad in June (apart from Telmessos end) but it does annoy me that so many of the Turkish people leave their rubbish behind after their barbecue or whatever. However surely the owners of the bars down there must realise that having a scruffy looking road or beach outside their bar/restaurant will put people off coming back. If I owned a bar I would most certainly get together with the other bar owners and arrange a regular tidying up of surrounding area and make sure that anyone leaving their rubbish was reminded that other people also use the area and that they should take home their mess or at least put it in one of the bins provided.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Rubbish
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 15:38:22 PM »
If the turks want their country to look like that it's up to them,Holiday home owners and expats in the main don't vote nor do they have the right to vote for Mayor, only have the right to pay council tax, etc.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 15:39:22 PM by c1 »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Rubbish
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 16:03:01 PM »
Not sure if that comment is tongue in cheek or not c1 and yes you are correct in that the Turks have the right to a messy country if they want one. I'm just not sure the majority of them do.

They also want a thriving tourist industry and surely one of the best ways to have one is through clean beaches and clean towns and cities.

Offline paul and barbara

Rubbish
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »
the canal outside telmessos has got to be the worse grot spot.the bins that have been provided by the council remain empty whilst the water course and surrounds are a complete tip,why anyone would want to have a picnic in what is a tip beggars belief

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Rubbish
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 12:14:33 PM »
Agreed.

Offline maximumtom

Rubbish
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 16:04:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by paul and barbara

the canal outside telmessos has got to be the worse grot spot.the bins that have been provided by the council remain empty whilst the water course and surrounds are a complete tip,why anyone would want to have a picnic in what is a tip beggars belief

Have to disagree about the canal being the worst. If you go up the hill between Telmessos and the sea you will find that it has been used as an outside lav.:(. Mind how you tread !!
As far as litter goes, when I lived on Rhodes it was not much better and when I lived in Weymouth the filth left by holidaymakers was disgusting.So it is not limited to Turkey. However, my neighbours seem to think that it is OK to dump any rubbish on the nearest bit of land that they don't own. It does not seem to shame them when I pick up their mess and take it the 100m to the nearest bin. Bring back the stocks for these people; that's what I say.: :)

Offline Eric

Rubbish
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 17:18:13 PM »
We were really impressed the 1st time we went to Yaniklar beach 3 yrs ago.  You paid an entrance fee and got a blue bag to put your rubbish in.  Great we thought.....wrong!  At the end of the day we put our rubbish in the bag and took it to the nearest bin on our way home.  The Turkish families around us put their rubbish in the blue bag...brilliant....and then promptly threw the bag into the trees at the back of the beach!  When we looked further the trees were full of blue bags!  Unbelievable [:(!]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf