Author Topic: Electric problem on January 22, 2018  (Read 7769 times)

Offline Libra

Electric problem on January 22, 2018
« on: January 24, 2018, 11:31:16 AM »
Electric gone on Monday January 22 ,2018 about 4.20 pm and came back a few minutes later leaving some damage on my electric devices.

PC 's graphic card gone.
TV 's HDMI card gone.
Some fuses on the boxes have switched down.

I heard that the ADSL Modem of Kaya Motel was damaged ,too.

Anybody else with a damage caused by this incident ?
Anybody else heard the loud bang just before power was gone ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Electric problem on January 22, 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 18:31:40 PM »
Always used a surge protector in Turkey, stops damage like this.  Get a decent quality one, preferably made outside Turkey  :)  seen a few locally made ones over the years that were worse than useless.

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 19:34:45 PM »
Yep. We wasted money a couple of times on cheap surge protectors. Once we bought a quality one, with battery back-up, we had no further problems.

Offline Libra

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 07:15:40 AM »
PC is connected to a UPS directly. ( graphic card has been damaged and replaced ).

TV , Satellite Receiver , ADSL Modem , Security Camera Box connected to another UPS.
That UPS outputs to 2 separate Belkin Surge Protectors where Security Camera Box is connected to one and TV + Satellite Receiver is connected to the other. ( TV 's HDMI card and Security Cam Box HDMI output have been damaged ) .

PC 's graphic card 's HDMI output is connected to TV via HDMI cable so I can have PC on TV.

The only device without a surge protector is the PC that is directly connected to the UPS power sockets ( because the UPS company says don't use extra power extensions ).

Any idea , should I still use an extra surge protector between that UPS and the PC ? Or even one before the UPS ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 08:31:49 AM »
How old are the surge protectors and how often do you get spikes in voltage?

Surge protectors have a finite life due to the method they use to flatten voltage spikes.  Extra voltage is diverted to a component called a MOV which degrades every time a spike occurs.  One of the ones we used had a warning light that came on when protection had dropped.  Its difficult to say how often you should replace them, but I've seen the advice for every two years in a few places.

JF

Offline George Warner

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 08:35:09 AM »
when  we had a similar surge problem last year we had the components replaced by Ufuk the electrician,not television man, just along from Erin Spot,he wrote out a report which we took along with the invoices to the Aydem office in Fethiye by the hospital,,not the new office up by Erasta,they accepted liability and refunded the amount into our Turkish bank account,took about a month for the repayment to appear.
The guy we spoke to right at the top of the building speaks some English and was extremely helpful

Offline Libra

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 10:01:14 AM »
How old are the surge protectors and how often do you get spikes in voltage?

Surge protectors have a finite life due to the method they use to flatten voltage spikes.  Extra voltage is diverted to a component called a MOV which degrades every time a spike occurs.  One of the ones we used had a warning light that came on when protection had dropped.  Its difficult to say how often you should replace them, but I've seen the advice for every two years in a few places.

JF

I remember "Lifetime Warranty" written on the boxes , will find them later and check.

Offline Libra

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 10:10:01 AM »
when  we had a similar surge problem last year we had the components replaced by Ufuk the electrician,not television man, just along from Erin Spot,he wrote out a report which we took along with the invoices to the Aydem office in Fethiye by the hospital,,not the new office up by Erasta,they accepted liability and refunded the amount into our Turkish bank account,took about a month for the repayment to appear.
The guy we spoke to right at the top of the building speaks some English and was extremely helpful

I went to that office , they said I should come with invoices and a written statement. I also found the moment of the incident ( flickering and short image distortion ) on all 4 security cam records. The exact time was 16:24:59 . We heard a bang and I even saw two frightened cats on two cameras running desperately away. The cameras and recording did not stop thanks to the UPS.

When I have all repaired ( waiting for the HDMI card of the Samsung TV ) , I will both go to AYDEM and the Consumer Complaint Office and hand them the copies of the documents.

Offline busybee

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 05:47:06 AM »
All gone over my head  :) sounds far too complicated for little ole me but I am glad to hear that Aydem accepts responsibility and pays out.  I do have a surge protected extension lead, with tv, video and mag box plugged in  :D :D :D prob not in the above league, but hey ho I try my best  ;)  ;)

Offline Libra

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 08:06:18 AM »
UPDATE :

It took a long time and the Consumer Complaint Office has finally decided that AYDEM should pay back the cost of damage of 1250 Lira to me. 

Now AYDEM has the choice of making objections to the Consumer Court within 15 days or to pay.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf