Author Topic: A nice Turkey experience  (Read 5650 times)

Offline Sleuth

A nice Turkey experience
« on: June 05, 2006, 14:36:14 PM »
My wife and I and two other english friends of ours were out enjoying a walk around the Kaya village last week, and during our walk along a country lane seemingly miles away from civilisation ( or so it seemed to us :-) ) from nowhere ,overtaking us, appeared a motor cyclist with two rear panniers on it .. he waved to us as he went by, and we waved back to him as he passed us . 50 yards on, he stopped.....we were curious as to why he stopped ? when we drew level with him, he got off his bike... went to one of his rear panniers...and unprompted by us proceeded to give each of us, wrapping them up in an idividual tissue, a delicous turkish type warm cornish pastie as best we could describe.... naturally we all said
" how much do we owe you ? " he couldnt speak english... but adamantly refused any money.... we insisted, but still he refused.... so we thanked him , shook his hand... he mounted his bike and rode off.
What a lovely gesture !!!! turkish hospitality at its best !!! lovely little experience

Offline canalman

• Aged Headbanger
A nice Turkey experience
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 16:27:55 PM »
Sleuth, from my experiences, that was just typical of Turkish hospitality. We have often been sitting on our veranda and Turkish people from across the road have brought us a plate of food as a gift. As always, Turkish home cooking is the most sublime of any that I have sampled during my earlier travels around the world and the hospitality is genuine.
Pete

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
A nice Turkey experience
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 17:10:56 PM »
THAT is why we love Turkey 8)

Offline teresa321

A nice Turkey experience
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 17:31:56 PM »
A lovely storey sleuth and thanks for posting it.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
A nice Turkey experience
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 18:12:43 PM »
They call him Sweeney, as in Sweeney Todd. I don't know why .

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
A nice Turkey experience
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 18:31:14 PM »
we were waiting for the dolmus in fethiye one evening and turkish couple were strolling by we said merhaba and they offered us some sunflowers seeds they were eating,we chatted the best we could,they were so friendly.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
A nice Turkey experience
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 06:28:11 AM »
I am told that in Turkey if a neighbour brings you food on a dish, then it it is not considered courteous to return the dish empty, you should return it with your own offering. Then of course they reciprocate!  We have so many dishes going backward and forward it is difficult to keep a track of them all. :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 06:29:28 AM by tribalelder »

Offline Fettlers

• Warrington, UK
A nice Turkey experience
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 20:18:25 PM »
Tales like these never fail to warm my heart and remind me why we love this wonderful country

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
A nice Turkey experience
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 03:46:51 AM »
i was in a garage the other day and the petrol pump attendant ask me if i wanted to buy a villa!!

Offline brummyboy

• Crocodile Dudlee
A nice Turkey experience
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 05:21:29 AM »
was he a grey old man called doug?stu you did well to turn him down,complete waste of money.lol

here comes the wallet story again.sleuth a man gave me back my lost wallet with 800 quid in it. (sorry i still cannot believe it)

marcus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf