Author Topic: Pre-paid Gas Meters  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Pre-paid Gas Meters
« on: November 26, 2014, 18:28:28 PM »
Some of the poorest people in Britain, who don't have bank accounts, and are thus not good credit risks, have to buy gas and electricity via pre-paid meters. This is calculated to cost them an average of £80 per year more than the rest of us who have other payment methods. That is itself a scandal. Today it has been exposed that 1.5million households (and unknown number of household members) using gas pre-payment meters have been overpaying for readings from faulty meters and that this has been going on since 2007. The gas companies think the average amount they have overcharged is £6.5 per year since 2007. So that is £6.5 x 7 years x 1.5 million households. Check my arithmetic, but I reckon this is just short of £70 million stolen from the poorest of our citizens by the gas companies.

Apologies will be issues by gas companies to be followed, at some point, by refunds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30214471

Offline sadler

Re: Pre-paid Gas Meters
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 18:46:13 PM »
Scandalous!  >:( >:( :(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 19:00:03 PM »
Well, they could have kept quiet about it. At least they've put their hands up and admitted it.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 19:02:02 PM »
Obscene >:(  For the most vulnerable in society it is the same when they require credit, interest rates are extortionate. If they fall into the "trap" it just compounds their problem. 

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 19:10:21 PM »
If the prepayment meters had been UNDERcharging I rather suspect they would not have taken 7 years to find out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf