Author Topic: paint  (Read 1609 times)

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
paint
« on: October 03, 2007, 16:25:29 PM »
I am thinking of getting some paint for outside walls sandtex type of kit, as what I have seen of Turkish equivalent isn't in the same league, my questions are these can you buy sandex in turkey, would the sandex paint effect the porous nature of the wall and effect rising damp as the paint forms a more effective barrier, or am I wasting my time, just stick to local paint which need re applying every other year or so. many thanks in advance  :)

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 16:29:28 PM »
Have not seen Sandtex but there are some pretty good brands downstairs in the DIY shop, next to Citroen garage on road out to Antalya (some call it 'B&Q'). They have a really good range available. The paint that they mix on the machine is high quality external paint and is pretty close to Sandtex in terms of quality (years ago I used to be a store manager at the 'real' B&Q!).

Offline suzi Q

paint
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 18:17:53 PM »
While we're on the subject of paint do they hammerite? Or simular decent paint for railings/grills etc.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
paint
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 19:12:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by suzi Q

While we're on the subject of paint do they hammerite? Or simular decent paint for railings/grills etc.

yes they sell it but their own version is cheaper and just as good

Offline suzi Q

paint
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 21:07:55 PM »
cheers puma
suz

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
paint
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 21:21:35 PM »
Sandtex type paints afford a fairly effective barrier against external damp (rain) but are actually counter productive rather than helpful with rising damp.

Damp coming from behind coatings will eventually force the coating away from the wall - leaving an unsightly mess. It could be argued that no coating at all is better, as the paint actually prevents direct sunlight (heat) removing damp by evaporation.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf