Author Topic: money  (Read 1920 times)

Offline mike77777777

money
« on: February 07, 2011, 20:53:43 PM »
Hi all

glad it's all up and running again. I am setting up a bank account when I next arrive in may 2011. How do you make a deposit into the bank. Do i take gbp's or Turkish Lire or pay a british cheque in and accept exchange rate charges. How much am I allowed to take out of the UK.

Thanks for any help...

Mike

Offline PKHUGHES100

money
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 21:17:18 PM »
Hi Mike, you can pay UK money in any bank and an account is easy to open, just take your passport with you. In terms of amount you can deposit, I don't think there is a limit but have a look in the bank and information services section of the forum or do a search, there will be loads of information available.

Search facility is top right hand side of the home page.

Kevin

Offline Chinook

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 00:14:16 AM »
You'll need a tax number and also need to take a utility bill, either Turkish or UK will normally do. I would suggest against trying to deposit a UK sterling cheque.

Offline thebillet

money
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »
Make sure our utility bill is less than three months old otherwise it won't be accepted. We took cash out and paid it in, inevitably it was that occasion that the security decided to go through our and luggage but he paid no attention to the brown envelopes, he spent his time stroking my earphones with an electronic paddle!

Offline mike77777777

money
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 12:38:17 PM »
thanks for help

Mike

Offline peecee

money
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »
Don't use a cheque.  When I opened a bank a/c I had a bankers draft at it took 3 WEEKS for it to get into my a/c[:(!]  The bank kept on saying the problem was at the UK end, when I phoned the UK they said it had been paid 2 days after being presented.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
money
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
If you're taking 10,000 Euros or it's equivalent out of the UK to a non-EU country, i.e. Turkey, you must inform HMRC.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/declaring-cash.htm#1

You might find it easier to open the account with say £50 and then, when you return to the UK, transfer the money by IBAN / Swift. You'll pay a fee for this but it's far safer than carrying a large amount of money with you.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:59:49 AM by KKOB »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf