Author Topic: Teaching Kids the Value of Money  (Read 956 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Teaching Kids the Value of Money
« on: August 06, 2008, 13:00:56 PM »
My kids are finally understanding what money is and what it can do. It's been hard lately though.

We went to a car boot sale last time we were in Scotland. They have their own little purses with spending money in. Abbie wanted a cuddly toy and asked how much it was. "A pound" said the guy (well he actually said "a poond"). Abbie opened her purse and I stopped her. As we walked away she asked why. I told her it was too much money. "No it isn't, I have a pound".

A later observation was that value is not in monetary terms when you are 7. One had a pound coin and a 50p left. The other had about 40p in 5p's, 1p's and 2p's. They both believed the one with the most coins had the most money.

Their final financial lesson happened at Manchester Airport. Delayed 2 hours we finally allowed them to go downstairs to the little amusement arcade, with a pound each. After about 10 minutes two very excited girls came flying back to us, telling us they had won lots of money on one of the machines. Handfuls of coins confirmed. Thinking it a little odd that both could have beaten the odds, I asked then to show me the machine.

"CHANGE".

They better get to grips with the concept of money soon or I will disown them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf