Author Topic: New Ferry Service Fethiye to Rhodes Next Year  (Read 1732 times)

Offline philrose

New Ferry Service Fethiye to Rhodes Next Year
« on: November 16, 2009, 10:01:34 AM »
The old hydrofoil service to Rhodes will be replaced by a fast catamaran next year.
More info here......
http://www.fethiyetimes.com/news/44-news/5898-news-snippets-week-ending-14th-november.html

Offline Linda

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by philrose

The old hydrofoil service to Rhodes will be replaced by a fast catamaran next year.
More info here......
http://www.fethiyetimes.com/news/44-news/5898-news-snippets-week-ending-14th-november.html

It's got be good news that Hydrofoil had seen better days and was always breaking down. Am I right in thinking the fast catamaran wouldn't be as quick as the hydrofoil though?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 12:26:06 PM »
I don't think a catamaran is going to be as quick, also will be more bumpy!!

Offline philrose

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 12:57:45 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Linda

quote:
Originally posted by philrose

More info here......

It's got be good news that Hydrofoil had seen better days and was always breaking down. Am I right in thinking the fast catamaran wouldn't be as quick as the hydrofoil though?

Well considering the last time I used the Hydrofoil it was 90 minutes there and FOUR hours back I think overall the Catamaran would be quicker ;)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 13:45:12 PM »
The old Poseidon Had a capacity of 100 passengers and took at least an hour to clear them through passport control. The new ferry capacity of 300.....could prove to be an interesting scenario.[?][?][?][?]

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 15:17:24 PM »
The new catamaran will not cruise as quickly overall,but its poor weather capability will be greatly improved.The skipper/pilot will not have to make excuses that with a force 3,he has to slow down?nothing to do with saving fuel of course!!!!.Also looking to the future,if fethiye gets over its political stalemate of where to locate the new pier for cruise ships it will feature greately due to its car carrying capability.and even allow  brits to renew  visas with the car and not have to park them at dalaman at extortionate rates in a customs compound. As to being more bumpy,these fast cats were developed initially in Australia,whats more bumpy than the seas around the  south atlantic,or even between Felixtowe and north. Germany??

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 16:54:49 PM »
Yes, I have experienced a catamaran in rough weather.. yuk!  I have been lucky enough not to have bad weather on the Fethiye to Rhodes run, it's always been a good journey.  I hope the authorities will be ready for the extra passengers with this new ferry as last year we stood in the blazing sun with no shelter for 20 minutes waiting to get on the ferry. Everyone in the queue was complaining about the heat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf