Author Topic: Foxes.  (Read 3933 times)

Offline maximumtom

Foxes.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 19:27:28 PM »
Read the
"Does surplus killing represent a "waste" of energy & resources for a fox?" section on the following link:

http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/questions_answers_foxes.html#kill

It goes some way to suggesting why foxes do what they do.  If you understand, it is easier to cope with.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Foxes.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 20:19:07 PM »
Sorry, but a page on the internet would not help to cope with seeing some of the terrible massacres we saw, particularly upsetting when you try to pacify two crying children who see their pet birds torn to bits.   We tried restocking many times, but our lovely peacock and our two pea hens were the last straw.  The fox won.

Offline maximumtom

Foxes.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 21:11:33 PM »
Do you blame the foxes or the people who cage the prey so that it cannot run away ?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Foxes.
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 22:45:16 PM »
Our stock was never caged.  All our birds where free to roam all day.  The only time they were locked up was at night when they willingly went into their housing even the ducks had their own duck house by the pond, our stock were never attacked at night.  So, simple answer to the question.. I blame the foxes.:(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 22:46:30 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline maximumtom

Foxes.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 07:26:42 AM »
I don't think that a fox does anything that is 'unnatural' for a fox (even though we, as humans, cannot understand what is driving it) and so I cannot 'demonise' a fox. I would disagree that a fox is the only other animal, apart from man, that enjoys killing. Put a dog amongst a flock of sheep and watch the result !

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Foxes.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 10:25:51 AM »
Cats.  I love them, but they are consumed with the urge to hunt and kill anything that moves.Admittedly possibly not chickens though.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Foxes.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »

A dog is a domesticated animal and some dogs are trained to work with sheep and do a good job, so I cannot demonise all dogs, all dogs are not killers, however, I can demonise all foxes as they are killers who do enjoy killing for fun whenever they get the chance.
I used to live in a large town in England  and like lots of people who have a romantic idea of foxes I always thought I loved them and hated the idea of anyone killing them.   I moved to farm land in Scotland and soon changed my opinion of foxes after experiencing them first hand.   Think of this analogy if foxes did not look so cute and beautiful (and incidentally, they actually stink) if, say, they looked like great big rats, would town people still love them so much?
Anyone can debate foxes with me, but how many people who speak up for them, have had any experience of foxes?
and Yes Rindaloo, we also had a cat who was recovering from a bad leg injury taken by a fox, which I don't even want to think about.

Offline maximumtom

Foxes.
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 14:51:06 PM »
OK, no point in continuing. You believe foxes kill for fun; I don't know, but after reading the research on the subject, I am not convinced.

Offline Bluwise

Foxes.
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 19:54:21 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

Sorry, but a page on the internet would not help to cope with seeing some of the terrible massacres we saw, particularly upsetting when you try to pacify two crying children who see their pet birds torn to bits.   We tried restocking many times, but our lovely peacock and our two pea hens were the last straw.  The fox won.

Reading just a few paragraphs does put it into perspective though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf