Author Topic: The Tragedy of Turkish Kangals.  (Read 2995 times)

Offline terrie

The Tragedy of Turkish Kangals.
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 16:55:35 PM »
If you click onto the web page thats posted on kkob post at top of this page you are then able to follow a link to the main page.
The whole website is worth reading, but be warned some very sad photos.
They have a picture of a cat that they are collecting for so i just donated there.
Any money they get will help in one way or another.
Hope this helps.
Terrie
Animal Aid.

Offline Sue T

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 15:20:02 PM »
Well I thought the article was well over the top, not to say that tragedies like this do not happen, but Kangals are recognised and valued as a special breed in Turkey and that is why their export is forbidden - do we want to encourage puppy farms?
There are Kangal appreciation organisations in Turkey and to suggest the majority of this breed is treated badly is unfair, many are raised and used as well looked after working animals.  Better than being kept as bored pets on the costline med which is generally too hot for them.  So we might not like their ears being cut off, but many other countries are guilty of misbreeding for fashion resulting in breathing difficulties, deafness, bad hips, back problems and goodness knows what else and the lopping off of tails for fashion has only recently been stopped in many places.
If you go to any country or culture you can find mistreatment of animals of one form or another but I think it is best not to blacken a country as a whole because of this.  After all the majority of the Turkish population would also be horrified by neglect cases such as this and so would the nationals who rely on these magnificent animals to look after their flocks.
I did not like the tone of the article at all, anyway what proof does he have that the 'majority' end up this way?  Most distastful!

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 16:47:52 PM »
Our Kangal cross is so strong that he saw a cat and pulled me along with my hand caught in the handle of the lead like a water skier behind a boat. I had grazing along my chest for weeks and was quite shaken.This happened when he was young and I was trying to train him. I have owned quite a few dogs but find that he is not a dog you can train, he will co-operate if he feels like it but is very independantly minded and will ignore us if he does not feel like coming back when we call.He is not vicious but that does not mean he could not be very dangerous if he was out of control. He is neutered and no puppies will be bred from him. My husband who is well over six foot tall does all the walking on a lead with him now.
I personally think that the Turkish government are right not to allow these dogs out of the country. I understand that some were exported under licence to an African country to deter leopards from attacking goats and sheep rather than shooing the leopards whose numbers where dropping.That shows how strong they are. They really are an animal to be proud of but should be left to stay in their own country.We do find that our cross breed is quite happy to curl up in front of the fire though,in fact we have to shove him out of the way of the heat to get some ourselves!We had temperatures of nearly fifty in Turkey and he would just curl up on the cool stone and go to sleep quite happily.
It is heartbreaking to see such a beautiful,noble animal treated shabbily.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 16:59:11 PM by Daffodil »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 19:49:18 PM »
There are several hundred Kangals in the UK, USA, Europe and Africa. Most of them were bred from stock that was exported before the ban. There are several owners clubs throughout the world.

There's a good deal of info about them on these sites

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Kangal_Dog

http://www.kangalkopegi.org/breed.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf