Author Topic: Who is/are your Heroes?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Who is/are your Heroes?
« on: December 24, 2010, 19:06:22 PM »
At this time of year, my thoughts turn to people who have left a lasting impression upon me, & who I consider to be my "Heroes";

1. My Dad, James "Breenger" Aitchison, who left an exempt occupation upon the outbreak of W.W.2, & joined The Royal Navy, serving on the cruiser H.M.S. Bermuda from November 1941, until wars end. Had 13 children with my Mum, (still with us), & served as a coal-miner until early retirement at 57, passed away suddenly in 1989, at 64 years of age. Still miss him EVERY day, & will always look upon him as my guiding light. God Bless, Dad.

2. Fidel Castro, an Icon in my eyes.

3. A certain Andy Mcnab, D.C.M. & M.M. Why? Well, let's say; just because,eh?

4. All our brave boys & girls currently serving in whichever theatre of war they are sent to.

5. Every single Palestinian man, woman, & child who is living " under the cosh" in what has become known as "The Occupied Palestinian Territory".

These are just a few of my Heroes, who would you call your Heroes??
Gordy.

Bugger, nearly forgot the wonderful, all forgiving Loz!!!!  :o: :)

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all, from both of us.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Who is/are your Heroes?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 20:51:03 PM »
You're not fooling Brenda and I for one minute Gordon. We know that Loz is near the top of your list and that you were nowhere near forgetting her.

Completely agree with your 4 and 5.

Mine would be my late brother and all those young people who selflessly care for a parent.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Who is/are your Heroes?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 21:39:49 PM »
Well said John, some youngsters are not recognised for their total lack of selflishness, & dedication to the less fortunate.

Loz has just come out of the kitchen & asked; "how will I know when the duck is cooked?", she wasn't best pleased when I said; " as soon as it stops quacking"!! OUCH!!!!
She is a Hero though, God knows how she puts up with me, :o: :):D
All the best to you both.
Gordy.

Offline scouser2swife

Who is/are your Heroes?
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 09:08:41 AM »
1) My Mum was my hero. Having survived a direct bomb hit in the Liverpool blitz. (which killed her Mother, brothers and sisters) She  had some of her scalp burned,and because of her injuries she had metal inserted into her leg to rebuild it.She had to learn to walk again and deal with other injuries.She married at aged 17 and had 6 children, after the last one was born my Dad left her.She worked night shifts at the hospital as an Auxillary nurse.All this time she received no financial help from my Father or the State. In 1974, as well as working her night shifts she studied and got her nursing qualification. She worked until 1985 when she died of cancer at the age of 51.There is not a day that I do not miss her.
2) Our brave soldiers serving our country.
3)The Emergency teams that are sent out to help with disasters.

Offline Eric

Who is/are your Heroes?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
1. My wife Fi
2. Firefighters everywhere, particularly those on duty over the festive season.
3. Armed forces personnel who fight for our way of life.
4. Doctors and nurses

Offline scot

• Ayr, Scotland, UK
Who is/are your Heroes?
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 13:23:27 PM »
I will be the same as you Eric except my wife is Brenda.

Offline maximumtom

Who is/are your Heroes?
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 17:09:00 PM »
The people of Israel.
Jack Nicholson as Colonel Jessep in â€ËœA Few Good Menâ€TM

A quote from the film:

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Offline sunnyd

Who is/are your Heroes?
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 22:14:54 PM »
For me, family based  :-\ ...

No.1 is my Dad, My true hero!! He brought up my brother and I as a single parent, he sacrificed alot of things for us! I can,(as a single parent now for 7 years) truly appreciate this!
No.2 Both of my Grandads, and their brothers who fought for their Country and left people that they loved behind while they did it.
No.3 My Mum, who died very young (49). Even though she didn't 'bring us up' in our early years.. she taught us alot in our teenage years! Very open and true to life, and left us far too soon.
No.4 (sorry to put them fourth on my list, as they are so brave!) The men and women that sacrifice their lives everyday to serve for our Country.

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Who is/are your Heroes?
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 23:14:12 PM »
Carers, they go out in all weathers, no such thing as  bank holidays for them, caring for the old, the sick and the demented,
 keeping people out of hospitals and homes giving them a quality of life that would not be possible without them, a job done for reward
rather than money and a job done in the background, unrecognized by most.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Who is/are your Heroes?
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 00:29:58 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mike A

Carers, they go out in all weathers, no such thing as  bank holidays for them, caring for the old, the sick and the demented,
 keeping people out of hospitals and homes giving them a quality of life that would not be possible without them, a job done for reward
rather than money and a job done in the background, unrecognized by most.

Gotta agree with you there Mike. My mam's been back in care homes for 3 weeks but for 4 weeks prior to that she was getting carers at home 4 times a day. They were all bloody marvellous  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf