Author Topic: Keep an Eye on Elderly Neighbours in Winter - Scotland Style  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Keep an Eye on Elderly Neighbours in Winter - Scotland Style
« on: December 06, 2012, 18:20:00 PM »
I've mentioned before we live in a street where we are the young 'uns - it's a street of mainly "senior citizens" - and a wonderful bunch they are too.

One lady in particular - across the road - is amazing. She is quite frail, but still whizzes around in her little car (parked in specially designated disabled bay) here there and everywhere. She won't accept help - she returned from a supermarket shop, took each carrier bag out one at a time and placed it on the road, then one at a time walked them across the road into her house and back for the next - I asked her if I could help and she politely but absolutely refused. This has happened several times.

I always keep an eye out (I have a home office so I am generally here during the day) and after the snow of earlier this week spotted her heading for her car (braver than me!). I thought little of it till 5 minutes later I looked again...

Elderly neighbour, a lady surely well into her 80's, standing in the snow, bonnet up, checking the battery and screenwash level!

Once again she point blank refused any assistance.

:)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Keep an Eye on Elderly Neighbours in Winter - Scotland Style
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 18:48:39 PM »
Excellent  ;D ;D ;D

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 22:30:50 PM »
Having worked at hospital arranging care packages for elderly I found from 80 upwards they are more independent.  It is their 60 year old family member who reckon mumor dad needs help.
Have had to beg a 102 year old to take help to prevet her 80 year old son from worrying about her.   They don't make them like that anymore.

Offline BlackAdder

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 15:05:20 PM »
I read in the paper that you should look after your neighbours but the old woman next door hasn't been round once and she cant even be bothered to take her milk in, lazy old bat.

Offline jrichards1

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
I get a phone call; "come and get your uncle off of the shed roof, hes cutting the hedge with an electric cutter"
Hes 92. Its good to be independant, but he makes my nerves bad!

Offline marina

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 15:05:00 PM »
 ;D  Oh that reminds me so much of my mum (88) and dad (87) and both fiercely independant.  We only get to hear about dad climbing on garage roof to 'do a bit a repair job' or mum climbing up stepladders to take curtains down to wash until after the event  :o.  I suppose I should be used to it by now but it still frightens me to death!! 

Offline jackstee

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 17:47:22 PM »
Mum and Dad just got back from a month in Malta.
Been many times and know the Hotel, Dads around 94 and Moms not many years younger but unfortunatly became almost blind and deaf. ( brain tumor)
When asked "they had a great time" it was warm and they didn't bother with any tours this time. They just relaxed.
And so they should, deserve it.
What went wrong. They had to go back to UK.
Don't you just lov it.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 18:04:05 PM »
I can relate to all of this.   Mu Mum is a stubborn little so and so although still a sprightly 72 year old.
My son called me last weekend to tell me he'd gone to visit her and caught her up a stepladder painting the ceiling.  Luckily she'd just started so he did it for her but I dread to think what could've happened had he not gone in when he did.

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »
Last night, (after the dog had been in the garden and traipsed in mud) I had to mop over the wooden floor in the living room. I opened 1 of the curtains and opened the window.Within 5 minutes, one of my neighbours knocked on the door (he had his dog with him) and asked if I was ok. He said that as my daughters car wasn't there and the downstairs window was open he was suspicious that there had been a break in. I guess I am lucky that I live in an road that does keep an eye on neighbours.

Offline George Warner

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »
Just got back from the UK.
During the snow last week my Aunt 92 announced she had to go and check on the "old dear" down the lane, really how old is she then we asked. 73 came the reply!!!
 When will she grow up?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf