Author Topic: Laser Eye Surgery  (Read 877 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Laser Eye Surgery
« on: October 22, 2012, 14:41:07 PM »
In a few weeks time I am going to have this treatment for removal of a membrane growing behind one of my cataracts. My, extensive, experience of Bristol Eye Hospital has taught me that although their technical skills may be very high (this, of course, being of paramount importance) their patient care skills are dire. Indeed, I am not convinced that the staff have a concept of "patient"; instead, they view you as a pair of orbs wandering around on legs. So I am not expecting anything very helpful in the way of post-operative information.

The only person I have known to have laser surgery (who has now moved away) told me some years ago that he didn't like the smell of burning coming from his eye during the procedure. Apart from this I have no information. So, has anyone on CBF gone through this. I am not at all worried about the process - I have gone through too much over the last three years to start getting faint-hearted now - but I would like to know what to expect. How much post-op pain might I experience and how long might it last? I am advised to wear sunglasses to leave the hospital "until your vision clears" - how long might this be? Will the shape of my eye have been altered by the surgery? If so, will I need to visit my optician for a new prescription, and how long before my eye settles down enough to do this? Can you advise on anything for which I need to be prepared that is not in this list? Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 16:50:11 PM by Colwyn »

Offline tonysue

Re: Laser Eye Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 16:33:36 PM »
I had laser eye surgery on 2 occasions for corrective vision via a method called PRK, which is not the same as the procedure you are having but I can tell you of my experience.
The procedure is painless after the insertion of local anesthetic drops which also immobilises the eye. There is a smell of burning which is only to be expected. You will need somebody to bring you home and dark glasses are needed but a bag over your head would be preferable, I joke not as the anaesthetic wears off very quickly and I found the sensitivity to light unbearable. Thankful the pain only lasts about 24 hours and is manageable with the pain relieving drops you should come home with and oral medication, after that there is discomfort for a few days.  Hope this helps and good luck- it will be worthwhile I am sure and maybe another member can help who have had the same treatment for a similar complaint.  :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 16:45:56 PM »
Thanks TS, this is very helpful. My written guidance says "you may wish to bring someone with you for support" so I was intending to go alone. There is a taxi rank outside the hospital and no-one in immediate family is available.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 18:00:47 PM »
My late Father in Law had this operation for cataracts.  He had them on both eyes.  So he had one procedure on one eye and then went back a couple of months later for the next one.  A friend took him and brought him back.  My Father in Law said  he was amazed how quick it all was.   His eye was sore and sensitive for the first day, after that he was fine.  We went across to N.Ireland to visit him just after the operation and he was so pleased he had it done.  He did say the first thing he noticed was how bright colours where on everything and he thought it was wonderful.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
My November operation was postponed to December. My December operation was postponed to January. My January operation took place yesterday. Hooray! Five minutes with no painful sensation before or after and now I can see properly. I have now got clear vision in two eyes for the first time in six months. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be able see things well just by glancing at them instead of having to peer and concentrate hard. It is great to be binocular again!

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:35:38 PM »
Good for you Colwyn. How frustrating that you have had to wait so long for such a small life changing operation.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 14:35:14 PM »
Thanks Bewva, to celebrate I took myself off to the local where this conversation took place.

Landlord: Hello Colwyn, how are you?

Me: Absolutely excellent! [Pause. Landlord lifts eyebrows]. I had an eye operation yesterday and can now see properly for the first time in six months.

Landlord: That's a pity ... I shall to stop overcharging you now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf