Author Topic: Duty free  (Read 3438 times)

Offline madmart

Re: Duty free
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 22:33:42 PM »
Straight from Attilla the hun. Whoops HMRC

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm#1

Offline philrose

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 01:11:07 AM »
Port like vermouth or sherry has it's own category "Fortified Wine" ie wine that has spirit added to it. It has to have an alcohol level of over 17·5%  to be classified as a Fortified Wine.

Cheers!
Johnny (make mine a double) Walker...

Offline marjo

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 14:00:38 PM »
After including the duty free allowance amounts in every departure speech for customers over the last 6 years I did know what I was talking about!  :D

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 15:21:22 PM »
After including the duty free allowance amounts in every departure speech for customers over the last 6 years I did know what I was talking about!  :D
I had every confidence in you!!!

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 16:58:56 PM »
How much spirits are you allowed to bring in to Turkey?    :)

The two of us always buy a litre each in the Uk then a litre each when we arrive in Dalaman! Never had a problem.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 18:50:11 PM »
Not sure how much you are actually allowed but we often bring about 4 ltrs each in, we put it in hand luggage where possible so as not to rub the cheerful customs persons noses in it.  ;)

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
Well it is like anywhere where there are not constants, like the UK is a constant and thye Duty Free, set within the EU, never changes, however other Countris do sometimes change things like this or make modifications so frequently even the officials are not always sure what it should be. I actually went to a lot of trouble to find out in 2009 and it was definitely 1 litre of Spirits each into Turkey ------------but ---- nobody seems to care much as long as you dont make it onvious but that could change overnight! When I lived in Dubai they were sticky about the amount of spirtits you brought in but not wine, and, as i was making short haul trips every week to Bahrain, Kuwait etc. I would always bring in 6+ bottles of wine --- until one day -- without warning they started to stop you and reduce it to 2, but gave you a forthinight to come back out and claim two bottles and bring them back again until you had "emptied" your "bonded stock". Being an obnoxious b*****d by nature I insisted on seeing a higher official, who explained that there are lots of different regulations they can apply any time, and they had  decided to do so. (I got my wine back  :) )and I suspect Turkey is similar, ---one day--- out of the blue--- they will stop you and remove your excess ---- until then --- Carry on Sarn't Major  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf