Author Topic: coming back on the 29th april to our apartment  (Read 1560 times)

Offline julia f

coming back on the 29th april to our apartment
« on: April 19, 2013, 16:53:39 PM »
Hi Folks
My partner and i are coming back to our aprtment in calis. we have been coming to this area for about 5 years now. its crunch time, my partner will apply for residency to see if she can settle. i on the other hand have family commitments, grandchild on the way and work etc. if she can get into the right groups both social and a bit of learning then hopefully she will be at home. I am sure many of you have had these decisions to make leaving family and friends for a more relaxed well at least sunny days.

I am hoping that i will be able to join her when things have settled down with the family in the uk.
We do feel prepared for the turkey lifestyle. We have a saying turkey time!!! things may not get delivered because its raining!!! electric goes on or off, young men showing interest, eating food no matter if you are hungry as your turkish neighbours would be insulted if you didnt!!!! etc.
We were even there in the earthquake. but you cant beat the sun sets, the feeling of the warmth, except hight of summer then we worship the great god klima aircon!!!
we have made some good friends in our turkish neighbours. and always put on weight through their hospitality, even though we do dance.
So any advice would be appreciated and we look forward to perhaps some of you becoming our friends.

Offline Bluwise

Re: coming back on the 29th april to our apartment
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 17:23:24 PM »
How lovely for you -
If you've been coming for 5 years you will have a pretty good idea what it's like  :D
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 17:25:58 PM »
Living in a place is completely different to spending holiday time in that same place.  I lived and worked abroad for many years and loved it. The internet and in particular Skype make family and friends, just a click of a button away (whenever the internet connection works).  Socialsing is a big part of living abroad and this can sometimes be a problem with some people who have or develop a liking for more alcohol than is good for them.  Some people do this through boredom.  You will miss some of the things that you've been used to back home but adapting becomes
second nature if you REALLY want the sunshine lifestyle.  You have already established a friendship with Turkish neighbours and this is definately a good thing.  One thing that I found was this: as a woman living alone, my Turkish neighbours with whom I was on very good terms, were more inclined towards expats who were 'couples'.  My UK neigbours were often given presents of fruit and veg whilst they seldom gave to me.  I think this was a cultural thing because all my neigbours were lovely and I got on very well with them and their children. My neighbours were very protective of me and I felt safe, which was better that an lettuce and some apricots.  Official things take longer to sort out than in the UK and some officials can be contrary.  Overall, you have to do the 'deed' and make up your own mind but I wish you well and I hope that like me, you have a wonderful time living in the most beautiful place in the world, with some really lovely people.

Offline julia f

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 17:50:02 PM »
thanks for such lovely replies. yep we know it will different than hols. i am able to potter, i love cooking and pottering etc. my partner on the otherhand will need more structure as like me we have been used to mon to fri work and need to fill time otherwise the boredom sets in.
we like a tipple to drink but really dont enjoy it on a regular basis more as a party/social thing. having said that you never know how you feel until you are in that situation.

well fingers crossed and at least are home is already set up. one way or the other excitinf changes are ahead. x

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 20:08:30 PM »
Absolutely.  I hope you will post and tell us how things are going?  It's great to read of people's experiences as they settle into different stages of a new life.

Offline Brucat

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 14:59:36 PM »
We are also flying out 29th April to start our new life in  Akarca Mah. We wish you well and hope you can settle and have a lovely life in turkey.

Bruce & Cath

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf