Author Topic: Save our Beaches! Fethiye Mayor organises peaceful public protest.  (Read 2629 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
The Fethiye Mayor has organised a peaceful public protest Sunday 29th June at 5pm at the entrance to the Ölüdeniz lagoon in protest at the privatisation of all our local beaches, Ölüdeniz, Çaliş and Gemiler and every one is welcome.

It would appear that a lot of underhand tactics and shenanigans have been deployed in the process of the privatisation and its too complicated to explain but to cut a long story short the local Turkish people are furious and up in arms.

The income that would have been generated form the rent of sun loungers and parasols and spent on infrastructure projects identified to improve the area will be lost to private profit.

If you live here or own a home here then this does affect you.

Offline Ray1951

Re: Save our Beaches! Fethiye Mayor organises peaceful public protest.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:16:24 AM »
One of many underhanded tactics and no doubt many more in the pipeline after August. They are destroying tourism.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 14:43:22 PM »
It's worse than that.  They are destroying Turkey.

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 15:03:29 PM »
Nichola,
I own a home there, but am resident in the UK.
Is there any way we can help from the UK, or is it just bodies for protests needed?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 17:02:31 PM »
They could do with an organiser Strange! Some one to get the information out there in plenty of time  :o

There has already been one failed unadvertised public meeting (not by the Mayor though) and some people invited to yesterdays press conference with only half an hours notice.

At the moment I guess it is just a good turn out at Sundays meeting. I have no idea what their strategy is or what is planned beyond that.

There is going to be free parking between 4-6pm I believe but I would recommend getting there early and going by Dolmuş or bike/scooter because I imagine it will be a bit chaotic trying to find parking.

A fast and well organised response to the privatisation of Iztuzu beach has brought a stay of execution for the time being ordered by the courts so it is possible that a well organised protest here could make an impact too!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 16:26:11 PM »
Good luck everyone and well done Nichola for bringing this to our attention. Pity were are back home now :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf