Author Topic: A Sunny Stroll, With Pubs  (Read 1850 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: A Sunny Stroll, With Pubs
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 19:10:24 PM »
A very entertaining tour Colwyn, thank you. Thirsty work that, you're fully justified
in consuming the odd pint en route.
I have (in Turkey) a book on unusual UK pubs, and it features a very old Bristol Inn
whose large black main entrance door is rumored to be covered in human skin.
a/ Have you heard of it.?
b/ Is it on your tour route.?
c/ Did you have anything to do with it's construction.?
Without the book I can't give you it's name.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 19:46:12 PM »
Very interesting tour Colwyn, many years since I visited Bristol (over 30) and in many ways its completely changed, but it doesn't seem to have lost all its charm.  The harbour has seen the most changes I think.

Offline sunlover

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 20:03:36 PM »
Great pictures with write ups, i feel like i have been there.

Thanks for sharing it.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 13:27:55 PM »
Kevin
The pub is reputed to be Bristol's oldest - The Hatchet Inn built in 1606. I didn't contribute any skin to the construction of the door. I used to walk by it every day between school and my bus stop on The Centre, one of our teacher's was rumoured to use it on a lunchtime; as sixth formers we roamed much further away from school. It is not a place I have used very often. The last time I was there it was late on a Saturday and the place was heaving. It seemed to have been "renovated" (i.e. had the guts ripped out of it). It is, apparently, a popular meeting place for people going of to gigs. I didn't contribute any skin to the construction of the door. It isn't on the route I took but it is only a 100 yards from my start at Neptune. I might pop in the daytime and get a better impression of it.

Echogirl
Bristol planners have wreaked considerable devastation on the city; you might consider they made as much damage as the Luftwaffe (because of the aircraft industry here Bristol got a pretty good pasting). Bristol was very slow to rebuild after the war. I think the planners waited to see how other cities got on, picked the worst mistakes and applied them all to Bristol. However, the eventual redevelopment of the harbourside has been a great success both aesthetically and commercially. I prefer it to Hilary's favourite which is Cardiff Bay, although I have to admit central Cardiff is also a splendid area and they've done very well with the Bay.

Cheers, Sunlover.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 14:09:43 PM »
Thanks Colwyn,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf