Author Topic: Warning about giving information on F.B.  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Warning about giving information on F.B.
« on: April 22, 2017, 21:06:45 PM »
Not sure where to put this but.  There is a Forum on Facebook for local places  i.e. Hisaronu, Ovacik, Fethiye on T.A.  A friend asked me to join.  The guy running it is trying to drum up interest in his Forum and put on a competition, he did not say what the prize was.
He asked members  who were coming to the area in May to post and give the dates of their visit and where  they would be staying, all entries to be in by 9.00pm to win a prize.
Members then started to put dates they were visiting and names of Hotels.   I clicked into some of the members F.B. Pages. One lady owned a Jewellery Shop, another one owned a Hairdressers, so easy to find out their addresses if you were a burglar. 
The guy has run a couple of competitions this week.  I note one "prize" was a cocktail and another was a 10 minute ride on a Hisaronu go-kart.
The reason I mention this was, there was a programme on T.V warning never to put too many details on Facebook about yourself and never put on Facebook when you will be going on hoiiday as thieves look for this sort of information.
So a heads up, winning a cocktail might not turn out to be so good.

Offline philrose

Re: Warning about giving information on F.B.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 05:46:16 AM »
What's it called?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »
It has a big long name of the local resorts, best not to push it on this great Forum.  However, the guy has taken the thread down.  Someone else wrote and warned that Insurance Companies are saying there wil be no cover if customers go on the internet and publish their holiday dates. 

Offline scorcher

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:02:26 AM »
And it was only the other day that you told us on this great forum that you were coming out to Calis in May for a month as I recall.....

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »

In this message  I was speaking about Facebook. This is a totally different thing F.B. Has millions of members. It is very easy on F.B to click into someone's F.B. Home page and get their address and all their details if they do not make it private, which many people do not.   So, posting exact dates of holidays on F.B where someone can go to your home  page, is totally different from CBF where details of members are private.  No one can click in a members page on CBF and get all their details.  However, I did not give specific dates for my month's stay, I could be coming at the beginning for a month, or the end for a month and also, glad to say, my home is never empty when we go on holiday.
It would seem Scorcher, you are  implying that that members of CBF are criminals??

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 11:43:36 AM »
It would seem Scorcher, you are  implying that that members of CBF are criminals??
Isn't that what the C in CBF stands for?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 12:58:39 PM »
It's not just members of CBF who can read the posts.

Offline fernando torres

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 13:20:46 PM »
That's quite right KKOB, anyone can read CBF, you don't need to be a member

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 15:14:56 PM »
Yes, correct, but here on CBF there is no personal information given, as there is on Facebook.   As I said, you cannot just go to the members private page and get all their personal details on CBF   In fact, some members never even give their real names.   So. F.T. And KKOB you are both very safe.      ;D  ;)  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf