Author Topic: Wills.  (Read 1564 times)

Offline lanky

Wills.
« on: July 02, 2010, 08:30:47 AM »
Is there anyone on the forum who can advise me on the subject of wills. My wife and i, on advice, had our English wills translated and had them validated, or so i thought, by a Notary. Since then, i have heard so many contradicting stories as to the legality of this particular procedure, that i would welcome any input from someone who knows 100% the actual law for foreigners, or can point me in the right direction.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 19:23:35 PM by Anne »

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member

Offline lanky

Wills.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 07:07:02 AM »
Many thanks Anne, have read the info, and while it has been helpfull,i still feel this is a grey area. Reading various newspaper articles and going through other forums etc, this area of Turkish law is not easy to understand for me.All i want is for my assets to go where i want them to when the time comes.

Offline Firo

Wills.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 07:51:56 AM »
Long and short of it is if the Turkish courts agree with your will
eg you haven't cut someone out of it who could have a claim, then it will go through eventually.
If they don't agree, the remaining partner will have to jump through hoops, get people who could have a claim to sign documents saying that they agree to the will.....so if you have someone that you don't want to inherit there's no guarantee that your wishes will be carried out.
You cannot under Turkish Law disinherit anyone legally entitled to claim on your will.
It's a nightmare....

Offline mikew

Wills.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:27:35 AM »
Agreed Firo, in many respects it is better if you make a Turkish will, although they are more expensive than an equivalent UK one. When you take into account translation costs & UK Apostile Stamping it works out approx the same.It can take approx 2 years for an estate to be wound up in Turkey depending on the number of beneficiaries under the will & whether these differ from the number of of persons entitled to claim under Turish law, i.e. legal inheritors. I'm currently an executor of a deceased persons estate with property assets in turkey & the law is taking its course albeit slowly!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf