Author Topic: Driving to England through Europe  (Read 1442 times)

Offline kevman

Driving to England through Europe
« on: July 11, 2009, 14:52:05 PM »
Doe's anyone have any advise on the best way to do this. Ideally we would like to take about 6 weeks on a round trip staying as and when along the way. What do we need to know.You see so many British cars around that a lot of people must have done this journey. Has anyone any sound advice for us. Thanks in advance.

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 17:45:38 PM »
I don't but would be interested in the answers.  2 friends offered to drive my car out for me later in the year - think they see themselves as Thelma and Louise!

Offline Shrek

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 00:46:04 AM »
Leaving this Saturday doing the six week round trip Calais-Calis-Calais - on a motorbike. Travelling through France (hoping to see a couple of stages of the Tour de France), into Switzerland, down to the end of Italy, catch ferry from Brindisi over to Igoumenitsa in Greece, through the north of Greece along the E90 to the border crossing into Turkey at Ipsala, head south to catch the boat to Canakkale and follow the coast all the way down to Calis. taking slightly different route going back but not set in stone yet.
We would also be interested to hear if anyone has any hints/tips on what to see/avoid and places to stay. Also any info on the correct paperwork required at the Turkish border as my motorbike insurance only covers me in Europe, and how much time should we allocate for this?

Offline passbye

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 12:02:45 PM »
have just done the trip.avoid toll roads in italy and france they will toll you to death.green card for insurrance to cover you in europe.car documents.proof of owner ship.first aid kit.fire extinguisher.flourecent jackets 8)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:54:46 PM »
I've done the direct route a couple of times in my Turkish registered truck. Didn't want to waste time and money with ferries. Fethiye to Northampton took roughly 4 and half days. Went through Serbia and Croatia without any problems.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf