Author Topic: Not Quite Kas to Kalkan.  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Old Daffodil

Not Quite Kas to Kalkan.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 22:18:10 PM »
My mother died very young, I never knew her and she is buried there. Her family is from that area,Lower is the family name.Mary Georgina Lower was my grandmother and many of the family are in buried at Piddinghoe. They have been in that area since at least the 1600s.Simpson Lower is a family name.I think there are photos in the RNLI of them.

They are associated with maritime activities and were often in the lifeboats which went out to ships in distress. I think they may have been boat builders but am not sure.One of them was on board a ship which went down and it is mentioned on his headstone at Piddinghoe.

I think the downs are lovely and it must be so easy to pop over to France from there. :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 12:16:49 PM by Daffodil »

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Not Quite Kas to Kalkan.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 18:19:08 PM »
Interesting story Daffodil, would you like me to post some photos of Piddinghoe to give you a feel of the place.
Yes we can pop over to france as a foot passenger on the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry and the downs in the photo start three hundred yards from the house. 8)

Offline Old Daffodil

Not Quite Kas to Kalkan.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 18:56:48 PM »
Thank you MikeA, that would be much appreciated. I know it is a lovely place. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf