Author Topic: Carol Singing in Turkey  (Read 2397 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Carol Singing in Turkey
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 06:55:26 AM »
One of the things that pleasantly surprised me when I started visiting Turkey was how much more tolerant Turkish Muslims appear to be,compared to the UK.The same religion but different interpretations.Certainly,in my experience.

Offline busybee

Carol Singing in Turkey
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 11:13:48 AM »
How does the Carol Service at the Ernur get on bearing in mind the above posts.  Last year it was packed.

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Carol Singing in Turkey
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 12:49:39 PM »
They want to stop the Nil bar playing them they started last week plenty of other bars so you dont have to stay if you dont want.[^]

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Carol Singing in Turkey
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 14:45:38 PM »
It's quite touching in Birmingham on christmas eve outside the DHSS offices,all the illegals gathered round,singing 'bless this house'.

;) ;) :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Carol Singing in Turkey
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 15:01:32 PM »
I wonder exactly what would actually happen if a few dozen Brits sang Christmas carols on Calis Prom. My money would be on nothing at all.

Offline Old Daffodil

Carol Singing in Turkey
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 15:12:39 PM »
We sang Carols in Hisaronu market place last year and there were Turkish people there joining in with the fun. Some of the Turkish children ran off with the Carol sheets and started larking about which was funny,(it was too dark to see them anyway). It was certainly not a prayer meeting.We had a warm drink and stood about chatting quite a lot with both British and Turkish people. St Nicholas is Turkish.

Our neighbours give us goat's meat on the Bayram holiday and the man who built our house and our maintenance man give us a Christmas present. We give them little gifts as well.  I suppose it could be difficult if we started praying at aCarol Service but we did not do this. We sang Christmasy songs as well as Carols.

Offline hubblebubbles

Carol Singing in Turkey
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 17:01:46 PM »
You can sing carols inside a building as it is then considered private.The Ernur has a function  room for this type of service so its ok. Singing in public on the prom would not be considered private.While on this subject the first carol service at the Ernur will be this saturday at 6.30pm. everyone welcome and I have to say its a delighful service.

Offline Old Daffodil

Carol Singing in Turkey
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 18:43:45 PM »
Sounds a lot better than shivering in the cold and dark outside.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf