Author Topic: Venice to Turkey Ferry?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Venice to Turkey Ferry?
« on: January 13, 2011, 13:13:05 PM »
I have a daft idea for an adventure to combine two great loves of ours - Venice and Turkey. Probably flying to Venice (although thinking about train too), staying there for a few days then getting a ferry to Turkey.

Does anyone know what the ferries from Venice are like? We wouldn't be looking for the QE2 but something a little nicer than the Isle of Wight ferry would be good!

Also if anyone has information on how long it takes etc - in fact, anything about doing this route!

Thanks  :)

Offline Firo

Venice to Turkey Ferry?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 16:40:27 PM »
I don't think the Venice ferry goes to Turkey. The one from Venice we caught went to Igoumenista in Greece.There used to be one but I think it ceased trading.
The one to Igoumenista was like a mini cruise liner with a swimming pool on board.It was a Greek owned ferry.
You can get a ferry direct from Ancona to Cesme but it was a Turkish ferry and very basic and very expensive.
Good luck

Offline gunna

• Aldershot, UK
Venice to Turkey Ferry?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 16:50:43 PM »
Keith, there are NO direct ferry services from Italy to Turkey now the last service stopped in 2010 and will not be replaced.

There is a ferry from Venice, Anccona, Bari, Brinsdisi to Greece Igoumenti, Patra. then take the land brige to Piraues (200km) then take a 2nd ferry to Chioes and then hop from there to Cesme or take a third ferry from Piraeus to Rhodes then the highspeed Cat to Fethiye

Or travel on Ryanair from London Stanstead to Anccona or train from London to Athens or Venice the train from London to Athens takes 2 nights hope you got plenty of time, you will have to work out the cost once you know your route etc, but it should be an exciting trip the.... kids would love it.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Venice to Turkey Ferry?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 17:50:04 PM »
It does sound lovely I love Venice too!! What a comprehensive reply Gunna

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Venice to Turkey Ferry?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 18:20:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! Yes I have since had a good look around and the Venice ferries don't go to anywhere in Turkey now. It was an idea I had and I really didn't want to do much driving - in fact the Cesme to Fethiye bit was the only one I planned to drive. Maybe we'll just have to do both separately again  :)

Offline tel

Venice to Turkey Ferry?
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 18:49:59 PM »
Get the Eurostar train to Venice or the Orient Express LOL. Take an Italian train or car down past Rimini (nice) and get the ferry from Ancona to Cesme which passes through the Corinthian canal in the summer. Or like you said chum fly to Venice (dont get a gondola to Cesme though).Venice to Ancona by train about four hours.

Offline starman™

Venice to Turkey Ferry?
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:08:55 AM »
There used to be a ferry from Trieste. is that still running?

Offline Eric

Venice to Turkey Ferry?
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »
This site may be of some use;

http://www.cemar.it/dest/ferries_turkey.htm

Offline micky mouse

Venice to Turkey Ferry?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 15:06:11 PM »
Done this trip in 2009 by road down to venice,ship to igoumenista ship very basic haggled for a cabin as they were nearly all empty.You can purchase a reclining seat but not very comfortable.Found everything very exspensive.Left uk at 8 in the morning on a monday arrived in ciftlik at 4pm on the friday.Plenty to see on route,lovely trip but cost including meals,hotel,and fuel etc not much change for two people out of £2000 so be prepared.Also,be prepared for the cost of the tolls christ some were an arm and leg.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf