Author Topic: Encouraging Tourism  (Read 890 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Encouraging Tourism
« on: June 10, 2011, 19:11:52 PM »
If you think some people working for the Belediye and other local organizations in the Fethiye area seem to be intent on sabotaging tourism in Calis what do you think of a Cornish local government officer suggesting a tourist tax of £1 per night per visitor for coming to Cornwall - i.e. a family of 4 would be charged £56 for the privilege of crossing the Devon/Cornwall border for a fortnight's holiday? Of course. I imagine all of this will be denied tomorrow - "quoted out of context", "selectve editing", "mis-quoting" and so on.

Cornish hoteliers, bed and breakfast owners and visitors have reacted angrily to an idea that a £1-a-night tax could be levied on tourists to the county ... Tom Flanagan, Cornwall council's corporate director for the environment, planning and economy, raised the idea at a meeting of the communities and local government select committee. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jun/10/hoteliers-hit-out-proposal-cornwall-holiday-tax

I wonder what the annual salary of a Corporate Director for the Environment, Planning and Economy is. Indeed I wonder what the job specification is supposed to be.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Encouraging Tourism
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 19:37:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn

I wonder what the annual salary of a Corporate Director for the Environment, Planning and Economy is. Indeed I wonder what the job specification is supposed to be.

Re. another of your posts Colwyn, one of my pet hate quotations in relation to local government is "you have to pay top money to attract the top people" :(

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Encouraging Tourism
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 22:11:53 PM »
You aint wrong on that one highlander, as I expressed on another thread, I have always been underwhelmed by the quality of management I have found in local government - poor leadership, risk averse, blame spotters, fad followers, self focussed rather than role focussed - in fact I'd struggle to pay a number of them in usedbustickets ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Encouraging Tourism
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 22:30:38 PM »
Taxing people to visit an area is not a great idea but it's just a different way of doing what local authorities do. I remember being in the Lake District with a pregnant Mrs Scunner - the visit being out of season (if there is such a thing there) with poor weather and not many people around at all. We drove here there and everywhere, finding viewpoints and place in the back of beyond. All these places have been found long before you discover them, there's nobody for miles but the pay & display machines are in place. There's no facilities, nothing that needs funding or maintaining, but someone, somewhere saw the opportunity to extract another quid from us all to look at the best of our own country.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf