Author Topic: Kindle - which one?  (Read 3646 times)

Offline susuz.1

Kindle - which one?
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 23:41:02 PM »
I purchased a 3G Wi-Fi version of the Kindle in time for my holiday this summer. On the advice of Martin of MoneySavingExpert.com website, I got a re-conditioned one sold by Amazon. He said that at £111, it was worth buying,as many of these re-conditioned models are just returned stock, and Amazon give a 12 month warranty, the same as the new models.

As this was a considerable saving on the £152 full price for the 3G model, I went ahead and bought it.  I had checked first that the "free" 3G service provided by Amazon was available in Turkey, and it turned it that it is. The Kindle arrived in top-top condition, fully boxed, and I could not tell that it was "re-conditioned".

Although the interface is indeed somewhat "clunky", I was able to check my emails (essential for us as we run a business back home), go on Facebook, etc. anywhere, anytime, and all for free! I could check Dalaman Airport that the flights were coming in on time etc.  The screen is in black and white, and it is true you must turn off 3G/wi-fi as soon as possible after use as it eats up the battery power.  The unit will default to wi-fi but use the 3G when wi-fi is not available.  I didn't have to use the facility of downloading extra books from Amazon as I was too busy surfing!!

I would highly recommend the 3G model and lots of people are getting them after seeing my one in action this year, so get one soon if you want one for Christmas!!  8) 8)

Offline Carolyn1957

Kindle - which one?
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 06:43:34 AM »
I had the original Kindle when it first became available in the UK, although you had to buy it via Amazon.com in the States. I loved it!
When the wireless + 3g version became available through Amazon.co.uk I bought it - like others I wanted to make sure I could receive content here in Turkey. I can honestly say it is one of the best things I have ever bought. Books download quickly and painlessly from Amazon and anyone with an eye for a bargain can look through their site for free e-books. They have a list of top 100 e-books that is updated regularly as well as many, many more if you search.

It's right up there with my ipod and DS lite on life's little essentials list! (Sad I know!)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Kindle - which one?
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 20:03:06 PM »
I have just bought the 3gb Kindle a refurbished one from Amazon, and there are no instructions with it, when I switch it on and go through the two steps they advise will it then tell me what to do next?thanks for any replies just that I do not have a clue what I am doing!:D

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Kindle - which one?
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 21:49:18 PM »
Try this Karennina

http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindle User's Guide, 5th Edition_English.pdf

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Kindle - which one?
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2011, 21:55:20 PM »
The link does not work Nichola, try this one (I think it works)

http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindle%20User's%20Guide,%205th%20Edition_English.pdf

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 21:59:36 PM by loz »

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Kindle - which one?
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 22:12:52 PM »
that's it Loz  :)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Kindle - which one?
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:21 AM »
That is brilliant thanks girls:D