Author Topic: Saklikent tragedy  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Menthol

Saklikent tragedy
« on: July 20, 2014, 20:51:20 PM »
What an awful day for our region. A poor child lost to the sea at Calis and another soul lost and several injured at Saklikent.

http://www.fethiyetimes.com/news/44-news/12318-torrential-rain-leaves-one-dead-tourists-stranded-popular-gorge-attraction.html

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Saklikent tragedy
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 20:58:55 PM »
Sorry to read this, a lot of tragedies recently in the area.
I was reading recently of a problem with tourists who walk too far up the gorge alone and don't realise how far it goes on.  Something I had not thought about before.

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 21:03:50 PM »
Tragic and very sad.  Tourism appears to be down this year and situations like this certainly wont help.  My deepest condolences to all concerned -  :(

Offline davybill

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »
There's a video on Turkish daily news must have been terrible scary for the people there.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK

Offline marina

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:25:15 AM »
Terrible news.  Deepest sympathy for all concerned. 

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 11:43:51 AM »
Dreadful news and particularly relevant to me as on my second trip to the area and of course now "knowing my way around" and not realising the over-confidence then  we went exploring the local countryside past uzumlu and taking a wrong road found ourselves heading higher and higher up into the mountains. Stopping to take photographs and seeing the odd pebble come down I wasn't aware that is the sign of an impending avalanche, until due to wife urging me to return and obviously scared I started to make my way back. Hearing a shower of pebbles and a roar I ran like hell and road behind me was suddenly covered in boulders and mud! It missed me by inches and unfortunately apart from a few cuts and bruises I was ok. I am now much more careful and look at the weather frequently if out and about. Sakhlikent is lovely, but like all gorges in mountains in the Mediterranean, and there a few, possible the Samaria gorge in Crete being the most famous, they can be susceptible to flash floods and the "management" at Sakhlikent must be held responsible as they must know when such weather threatens and close it Tourists as they do in Crete! You don't come on Holiday to die like that! Turkey unfortunately has been developing a reputation lately as a great place to have an inexpensive Holiday and die or be badly injured due to a total lack of proper safety! What with People falling out of the sky over Oludeniz, getting hit by powerboats, smashed to bits in Jeep Safaris etc. People on Holiday don't think as carefully, therefore a responsibility of care is with the host Country.

Silent Runner

Offline scorcher

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 12:10:27 PM »
Divine intervention vicar! Are you now working part time for Aviva?   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf