Author Topic: Can anyone suggest a guide book for touring the area?  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Union-Castle

• Newly Registered
Can anyone suggest a guide book for touring the area?
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:17:55 AM »
Hello,

I asked on Tripadvisor for suggestions for a guide book of the area for touring by dolmus and hire car as we like to see as much of the country as we can especially out of the way villages etc.
I have Lonely Planet Turkey guide but as it covers the whole country is not very detailed.

I was told Turkish Coast 'Kas to Dalyan' by Sunflower guides would fit the bill but it looks like it is geared up for walkers.

Can anyone suggest a good guide of the area we could get or should we just ask for ideas when we are there in just under 3 weeks?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Can anyone suggest a guide book for touring the area?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 08:08:39 AM »
When you are in Calis the tour agencies always offer you leaflets as you walk passed them.  The leaflets give you a good idea of the places to visit, with descriptions and usually a map of the area.  Also if you hire a car you get maps and information of places of interest.
We have never seen a specific guide book of the area, but with the information above and of course, the great information on this Forum, I think you will have no trouble having good days out.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 09:03:03 AM »
Here you go, a great little guide to routes within one or half day drives from Fethiye produced by the Travel Foundation who have worked in partnership with the main tour operators, some local hotels and one restaurant.

http://www.makeholidaysgreener.org.uk/images/media/Turkey_driving_route_booklet_opt.pdf

There is also a video with an update on this project six years on

http://youtu.be/oECX70cPfiY

At the Mozaik Bahçe restaurant we also have a free booklet available with information on sites to see and place to visit in the vicinity.

Offline Union-Castle

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 10:56:20 AM »
Thanks to both of you.

I have already copied the booklet with those drives and looking forward to the Turkish breakfast mentioned!

Will check out the video later.

I expect the apartment we are renting will have a lot of leaflets etc on what to do. They usually do.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 11:13:16 AM »
Not a book but you could print off a few ideas  :)

http://fethiye.co.uk/fethiye/places-to-visit.html

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 06:48:24 AM »
I've just come back from a couple of days camping in Akyaka. Would highly recommend a visit. Head off on the D400 going towards Mugla. Took about an hour and 40 minutes, it was stunning.
If you fancy a dinner of something different to the usual,  Big Blue on the main promenade over looking the sea do a fabulous Thai Red Curry, and Sweet Chilli Prawns and only 22 tl each.
I'm usually an advocate of when in Rome etc, but when you live here finding something different is a real treat, especially my favourite,Thai.
Little bars, lots of restaurants, a few little shops, stalls selling crafts and handmade jewellry, stunning scenery, white houses with ornate wood and tiles, farm and coffee shop and cay places along the river, boat trips galore, has it all in my opinion.
Just beautiful.

Offline Union-Castle

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 08:54:59 AM »
Already building up quite an itinerey thanks to all suggestions on the site.

Especially looking forward to the Lake Koycegiz area as this is just what we like.

My wife didn't fancy walking the 500 km Lycian Way though!

Thanks again for all the help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf