Author Topic: Gemiler Beach  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Lucinda

Gemiler Beach
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 07:28:32 AM »
I really enjoy Gemiler. Not too crowded and the new Belediye area is nice.

duffy2 I think the expression is "sun over the yardarm". The yard is a horizontal spar at the top of a mast to hang sails.

Because of its height the sun would not set over it but rise above it at around midday. I think perhaps the Navy is correct.

Lucy
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:32:35 AM by Lucinda »

Offline duffy2

Gemiler Beach
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 11:04:56 AM »
Hi Lucinda,

Thanks, I will now refer to it as the "the sun over the mizzen mast" or even "Sternboard"

Glad you liked Gemiler, it has always been our favourite and now with the children back at school, weekdays should be pretty quiet down there.

Duffy2 :D 8):D 8)

Offline apollo

Gemiler Beach
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 11:48:26 AM »
Because the yardarm is now metric and distorts the time of day. We have adopted the technical term of "is it beer o'clock yet?"

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
Gemiler Beach
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 11:56:30 AM »
"Beer o'clock" is midday at our place and anytime after!

My lot even do a count down ....how many minutes till beer o'clock-how sad is that?!!!

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Gemiler Beach
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 15:21:01 PM »
Sad to report that we've even had beer with our breakfast - when its 85 degrees by 9.00 in the morning it just has to be done.  Sod the Yardarm !:P

Offline duffy2

Gemiler Beach
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 18:23:41 PM »
Pookie!!!!

Where you one of those folks I saw a few weeks ago in Gatwick, at 06:30 a.m. who were quaffing their Fosters/Stella instead of a full English??

It may be a personal thing with me, and I do like my alchofrol!!! but not at that time of day!!! NO WAY!!!!!!!

I am really interested to know why people drink pints of beer/lager at 5-7 am in the morning. Seriously, I do not understand why folks do this. Is it because I originate from the backwater known as Cornwall, where us locals do not feel the need to chuck booze down our throats at wake up time???

Is it ME???

Duffy2   :) :)

Offline Edina

Gemiler Beach
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 21:00:53 PM »
Hi

Hubby and I walked to Gemiler beach from Hisaronu on our first ever visit to Turkey.  We left our hotel at 10.00am for a stroll through the pine forests, walked on through Kayakoy, decided to walk a little bit more and a few hours later arrived at Geiler beach.  A Turkish guy stopped on his way to Gemiler and offered us a lift to the beach, but because we could see the sea thought we were not too far away from it!  How wrong were we? No idea how far the journey is but by the time we got to Gemiler it was 3.15pm.  we stopped for a pint of Efes on the beach, took in the view for all of about 30 minutes and then began our journey back to Hisaronu. We arrived back at the hotel for about 8.00pm and the hotel manager was worried about what may have happened to us!!  We fell in love with Turkey on that holiday and have not holidayed in Hisaronu and Calis ever since.

Offline Edina

Gemiler Beach
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 21:03:06 PM »
Hi again

Just to clarify we have only holidayed in Hisaronu and more recently Calis ever since that holiday.  
Doh!!

Offline young at heart

• Orpington, UK
Gemiler Beach
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 22:12:27 PM »
hi

can you get to gemiler beach by bus

thanks

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Gemiler Beach
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 04:45:36 AM »
Yes, dolmuses run hourly from the big mosque in Fethiye, through Hisaronu and Kaya Koyu to Gemiler Beach during the season.

Edina,

I'm confused about your post too ! You DO holiday in Hisaronu and Calis ??
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 04:47:26 AM by KKOB »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf