Author Topic: 2008 Season  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
2008 Season
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 17:01:49 PM »
I think it is human nature to have affiliations to places and people, because people and places do assume characteristics of their own. This helps explain for example why we value nationhood, why we characterise our communities or why we may feel that a certain post code is better than another one. It also explains why kinship is valued so greatly. BUT this process can only ever be a generalisation. If the plea is that we should be cautious in how we categorise people then fair do's because generalisations can never be an exact science. But the question is do they have any validity at all. I think they do.  
Such assumptions and generalisations can explain for example why we say Germans are good engineers, or that American people are brash or southerners are softies when compared to northerners. When we think these things it is because our experiences tell us this might be so. Of course we are all biased so we cannot be certain that these assumptions are true and a problem will always arise when we make negative assumptions in this way. People will argue that thinking in this way is both racist and discriminatory and of course they are right. For example we say that German people have no sense of humour or  Scottish people are mean with money and using the earlier example, people who holiday in Marmaris once wore shell suits and by implication are not culturally sensitive to Turkey. These assumptions are often derived from our gut feelings.  Gut feelings are really assumptions based on experience and then locked away in our unconscious. They serve to protect us from harm and to help us make quick judgement. But they cannot be 100% reliable.
I suppose it really is human nature to think and act like this because we are being socially selective - we all do it. But it is snobbish!!!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 17:09:32 PM by Twin Bee »

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
2008 Season
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 17:17:22 PM »
Someone remind me never to ask a question about Marmaris ever again ;)

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
2008 Season
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 17:21:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

Someone remind me never to ask a question about Marmaris ever again ;)

Yes, keep schtum in future H! :D

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
2008 Season
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 17:36:11 PM »
I try to never judge a book by bits cover, after all a lot of posters to this site refer to their good nights out as being alcohol based, wear football shirts, enjoy crowded boat rides for the laugh, enjoy karaoke  nights,  and are quite at home in Hisaranu, and the the like, on the face of it a perfect recipe for a holiday in Marmaris, I like to think their is a another side to these people, I hope so,
I'll find out next week.  ;) 8)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
2008 Season
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 18:02:56 PM »
I think this thread was originally about the area being busy or not this year.
Lots of people go to Marmaris every year on cheap package holidays from English Airports.  My point was the people on my flight were new to Marmaris.   Aberdeen only started flights to Turkey last year, so these people cannot be the catorgorised as Marmaris Minkers (Scottish word).    So some people in Calis don't want the Marmaris regulars, fair enough, neither do I if they are as bad as everyone says.     However, we have to feel sorry for the people new to Turkey, who do not get cheap package holidays (it's never cheap from Aberdeen) but are advised to go to Marmaris.   My whole point was for people new to Turkey to have the option to be told about Calis  i.e. Calis/Fethiye needs publicity.  

I have to agree with Scunner,  I hope that new visitors to Marmaris will come again to a nicer part of Turkey.

In answer to Bee's question  Yes,  we have our own Villa too, and love the privacy of our own  pool and Villa.  We are always glad not to have to stay in an Hotel, which has really nothing to do with this matter.
Jacqui.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
2008 Season
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 18:35:47 PM »
 :)When Direct holidays did Calis I can remember saying they had killed it off,and was glad when they pulled out of Calis,
Most of us like a laugh, but most of these people were way over the top,ok, the bars and the hospital were kept busy, but for some ofr us we used to cringe, I have even followed people from the carousal out to  their rep to find out where they were going,because the language on the plane and in the airport made me sick,have a laugh by all means, we do,but we do consider other peoples feelings in doing so,I wish Calis well, but with the people who appreciate it as much as we all do. ;)

Offline bee

• Droylsden, Manchester, UK
2008 Season
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2008, 18:42:26 PM »
yes! jacquie it had everything to do with "this matter" you said that we shouldn't catagorise people, and again I was stating by nature everyone does it, weither you are honest enough to admit to it or not

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
2008 Season
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 19:33:33 PM »
Ah to hell with it, I'll have me tuppence worth on this Marmaris thread:

Just a thought, but what was Maramaris like, years ago, before it became the Marmaris everyone knows today.

Was it a quiet little place, beloved by a small number of people who discovered it, and which hadn't been "touristised" ?.

Was it ever like Calis before someone decided that they would advertise it and try to bring as many tourists as possible to it.

Is there not a danger that if Calis is hyoed to the extent that Marmaris has been, that it turns into another Marmaris.

Incidently, I hope Calis is having a very good season.

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
2008 Season
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 20:08:18 PM »
I detested Marmaris when we went on a day-trip from Rhodes about 15yrs ago. Talk about hassle from the shopkeepers, we could barely walk 5yds before being heavily accosted to buy something or dragged into a shop! Having previously holidayed in Gumusluk - which was then extremely small (just 18 tourists the year we went) & we also visited Bodrum & Turgetries which were up & coming but not too much hassle. We also holidayed in Altinkum (before it became too popular) prior to visiting Marmaris.

Had we holidayed in Marmaris firstly I don't think we would have been back in a hurry, if at all. We've also met people at the airport after their holiday who have said they detested Marmaris & wouldn't go to Turkey ever again. Some found Icmeler & that just about saved their holiday but others we have told of Calis/Fethiye & how different it is to Marmaris.

Bee - I know we shouldn't do it but we too catagorise people as Marmaris people - we are rarely wrong. I feel very sorry for the people who have been advised to go to Marmaris & are standing aghast in the departure airport obviously wondering what the hell they have let themselves in for.

If Calis/Fethiye ever becomes like Marmaris then we'll be selling up for good.

Saying that - Benitses in Corfu - was so bad with the drunken party crowd, that tour operators pulled out of the resort altogether. We went there 3 years after this happened & it was a very lovely quiet resort.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
2008 Season
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 20:12:09 PM »
I work in a University and yesterday a Turkish Student came to se me so I wowed him with a few words in Turkish- he asked how I knew Turkish so the ususal conversation about owning in Fethiye - "Fethiye why Fethiye - you should go to Marmaris- it is beautiful. Here is the name of my uncle he is the manager at the Pink Palace in Olu Deniz - go and see him say hello and ask him about Marmaris he will tell you more beautiful than Fethiye"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf