Author Topic: Do You Barter on the price of drinks? - Discuss  (Read 9043 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Do You Barter on the price of drinks? - Discuss
« on: July 07, 2008, 22:54:11 PM »
Go for your life fellas

Offline chorleyboy

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 23:01:53 PM »
Power to the people I say.
Earlier on my post about Oasis Village Yaniklar the owners of the apartments got together complaining about a litre bottle of red or white being 30ytl last year in the bar/restaurant.
This year the price down to 17.5ytl and Efes down from 4.5 ytl to 3.5ytl.
And I didnt even have to barter :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 23:06:54 PM »
I don't usually barter, especially if the establishment warrants the extra price. I avoid places that charge higher with no obvious benefit for paying more. If I like a place I might ask them to do a deal (I'm here all year!) because I would genuinely use them more if they weren't charging so much.

Would I query a small measure? EVERY SINGLE TIME - I learned from Crabbit  ;)

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 23:17:59 PM »

Would I query a small measure? EVERY SINGLE TIME - I learned from Crabbit  ;)
[/quote]

You bet I would too, if I was paying the asking price I would feel I had the right to do so. If I was in a restuarant, I would always be worried that there might be a 'sneezer' in my food if I tried to barter over a price that was diplayed on a board or on a menu.

Offline chorleyboy

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 23:19:26 PM »
I,m learning from you ;)
I was happy to use the bar at Oasis for 9 out of the 13 nights we were there due to the prices, dont forget I had to keep reaching into my bottomless pit of a pocket for three children as well.
If the wine had been 30ytl and the Efes dearer then I reckon a couple of nights there would have been enough, more nights in town instead and a few more nights on the balcony drinking the 24 bottles of Efes for 37.5 ytl.
So they gained a great customer for the fortnight, well, dont know about great, but economically definitley.
But I dont think I would barter, I would just move on to another bar, especially with the choice being vast.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 23:21:00 PM »
Not forgetting we're paying £4 for a whisky and coke, based on the fact that it is highly taxed in Turkey, whereas I know for a fact that 90% of it arrives duty free one way or another. I don't want a discount, I'll pay what they want (even if it means I never return) but don't charge me top dollar and skimp on the bloody measure!

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 23:21:25 PM »
I don't barter on drinks but if i pay a high price and the place is'nt good just don't go there again. or there are no price lists and they make them up as they go along one price for a turk one for a brit can't be doing that

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 23:28:21 PM »
Most places have their prices to view, often in the menu or on the bar. One time I check the price on EVERYTHING is if I'm trying to get a boat for a private day trip - no point getting a good price for the boat then paying through the nose for everything else, there's nothing like a captive audience here - look at Dalaman Airport!

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 23:28:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Not forgetting we're paying £4 for a whisky and coke, based on the fact that it is highly taxed in Turkey, whereas I know for a fact that 90% of it arrives duty free one way or another. I don't want a discount, I'll pay what they want (even if it means I never return) but don't charge me top dollar and skimp on the bloody measure!

Your'e not a cheap date then? :D I hope chippy arms has got a wad of cash with her if she meets up with you for a drink! :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 23:32:16 PM »
She'll buy me a few, I'm confident of that  ;)

One thing I hate - if I'm drinking Efes and someone offers to buy me a drink I'll have an Efes. If I'm drinking a whisky and coke and someone offers I'll have a whisky and coke. I can't believe how often Tuborg quaffing folk are offered a drink by somebody, or one on the house, and suddenly decide they want a vodka and red bull [:o]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf