Author Topic: Thinking about holidaying in Calis Beach!  (Read 4066 times)

Offline joolzred

Thinking about holidaying in Calis Beach!
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »
I'm getting over an op. earlier this summer and am thinking about having a holiday in late September. I *think* I've narrowed it down to Fethiye (if I decide to go to Turkey) and to Calis Beach.

I'm looking for sunshine, a nice(ish) beach, a bit of peace and quiet, gentle walks and perhaps a little sightseeing. Relaxing would be the main thing however!

Guess I'd better expand on what I'm able to do - I don't drive so need to be v. near the beach. I've had spinal surgery so I can walk but not more than about 5-10 minutes or so.

Any info about Calis beach? I've located a few hotels on travelrepublic.co.uk including 'Cenk Bey' 'Pelin Hotel'

I am a bit wary as I'm a woman travelling alone and while I'm no scaredy-cat and also have enough sense about how to act/dress appropriately I'm still slightly disabled and hope I can get 'looked after' a little!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:14:39 PM »
Hi joolzred, you've come to the wrong place, we're all totally biased  ;)

Both the hotels you mention are within 5-10 minutes of the beach, and I know members can fill you in on the details. I bet you £10 that if you come, you'll be back - and that says it all :D

Good luck and welcome to the CB Forum.

Offline lmaddy

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »
Calis Beach will be better for you then Fethiye as
1) Fethiye has no beach
2) Calis is on the beach
3) The prom is flat and you will be able to walk and get your strength up.

Pelin hotel will not be right for you, lovely hotel but you will have to cross a busyish road and walk about 10 mins to the front & it is a the same walk to any bar & restaurant.

I would suggest a hotel on the front & not far from the  dolmus or water taxi to get you into Fethiye. The Hotel Multu has been recommended by others and right on the front in a great location - check out the search button at the top.

The beach is pebbles so you may have trouble getting in and out - but as long as you have a good pool I think you will be fine.

I think you will like Calis as it have everything you could need within your walking distance. You will be fine on your own.
September is a fabulous time of year. Sick around on the forum & you will make friends.

Lorraine

Ps scunner doesn't give away money easily.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:34:19 PM by lmaddy »

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:41:55 PM »
first came to Calis in October 2005 after having a heart bypass (4 months before at the age of 40) been back twice a year since and have bought a 2 bed apartment  :)

Offline marina

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 13:42:24 PM »
Can't think of anywhere better for you than Calis.  Its very friendly and relaxed and everything you need is in easy walking distance. Fethiye is good for shopping or for a walk around the harbour, you can take a nice trip over on the water taxi, but personally wouldn't want to stay there myself.  Agree that the Mutlu would be a good choice, it's a good hotel and right on the promenade.  The Oykun is also a good hotel, we've been there twice ourselves.  It's further away than the Mutlu (about 10 mins walk to the promenade) but since the road outside has been paved over this year it's much easier walking.  They are also very well set up for people with walking difficulties.  There are no lifts but all around the ground floor wherever there are stairs there are also ramps to make it easier.  The staff there are wonderful, and if you request a ground floor room I know they will do their best to accommodate you.  There are often women travelling on their own staying there and don't seem to have any problems mixing with other guests and making friends.  

I'm sure you'll love Calis if you decide to stay there.  And be back!

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 15:08:38 PM »
Hi Joolzred
I will try and answer your question with a health focus first. Staying in Calis will provide you with easy access of a flat promenade with a good variety of restaurants and tourist shops (but not tacky ones) and stunning views especially at sunset. It is a short taxi journey (15 mins) from Calis to Fethiye, hence a fairly cheap cost, so you might want to give this a go. If your mobility prevents you walking say more than 10 minutes (1/2 mile)then ask the taxi to get you close to the harbour at Fethiye where there are plenty of places to people watch, snack and drink and enough interest to pass a couple of hours or so without walking miles. This provides you with an option to get out of the hotel area and ahave a change of scenery.  The same can be said for the Centrum in Fethiye  but this is a pedestrianised area so you may have to walk for about 5 minutes from your dropping point. A taxi will get you closer to the harbour and shopping centre than the Dolmus. In both places you will be able to find somewhere to sit at leisure and recover your strength before moving on. It is ok to buy a coffee and sit for a couple of hours pavement style if you so wish. Many do!
However the best way of getting to Fethiye harbour area and the shops is by boat taxi from Calis. This will require you to get on and off a boat. It is mainly a 'cocking of your leg' process to get on and off and help is aways at hand. The boats provide seating and it is a very gentle ride but it can be cool late at night so take something for your shoulders. Boats go every half hour.
Walking in Calis is best done on the prom as it is flat and also along the main shopping street. However the rise of the pavements can be higher than in the UK and things like posts and telegraph poles can be located in awkward places. If you can raise your feet ok you will be fine but if this is difficult then the high raise kerbs might challenge you. Check before you book that your accomodation has a lift or you will be on the ground floor.
Let me reassure you that you need have no concerns about feeling safe in Calis or Fethiye. My wife takes herself to Calis and Fethiye on her own and she is a person who can sense 'danger' a mile off. She tells me she feels very safe there. Obviously do take sensible precautions with your handbag etc
If you are worried about needing English speaking doctors or hospital staff they are available assuming you will have medical insurance. These are well sign posted.
Using the Dolmus (local bus) might present more of a challenge because you cannot always get a seat but if your disability is obvious there is a good chance you will be offered a seat. Also some have a high rise step but the drivers are very patient and a lot of frail/old Turkish people use them all the time.
If you want a walk then one option is to take the Dolmus to the terminus and walk back along the promenade or do it the other way around i.e. walk along the prom (away from Fethiye) till you past all the hotels and bars (about 1/2 mile) and you will come to the terminus where you will see the Dolmus's on the beach parked up. You can then take one back to Calis centre for a cost of 1.5 ytl (60p) If you get tired along the way then stop and rest in one of the pavement bars/hotels. Turkish men like to engage in conversation, sometimes to encourage you to use their restaurant or shop but rarely in a way that causes offence.  I find that so long as you are respectful and polite and engage with them they undertstand when you say "sorry I have just eaten or no thank you - not to day", while some people use the "don't give eye contact approach."
Remember it will be hot so don't forget to take some water out with you if walking. Finally the options for outings will be limited due to your lack of mobility but you could try the Turkish Theme night in Kaya if you book an excursion from your hotel.
I hope you enjoy your stay.
TB
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 15:19:53 PM by Twin Bee »

Offline kismetbar

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 15:58:45 PM »
In other words, get your ass out here ... you'll love it!!!!!

Offline STEVErx

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 16:21:49 PM »
yes joolz its brillent we went for the first time last year
and were going back lovly weather lovly lovly people
go for it,and welcome to the forum

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 17:34:53 PM »
 :)good on you for making the efort, you cant go wrong in Calis, ;)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 18:32:23 PM »
hi and welcome how brave you are go for it and enjoy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf