Author Topic: WARNING! -- XL have filed for bankruptcy.  (Read 13014 times)

Offline shandy

• Ashton-under-Lyne, UK
WARNING! -- XL have filed for bankruptcy.
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 08:30:44 AM »
It makes me wonder how many more airline`s that might go bust soon.. seeing that excel was the third english airline company.. For those on holiday the Civil Aviation Authority will arrange return flights for people already on holiday, a service which is free for anyone who booked through an Atol protected agency..However, those who booked directly with the airline or XL.com - who are in the minority according to the CAA - will face a fee. remember People who booked through a credit AND some debit card can contact their card issuer to see if they can refund their money..

Offline shandy

• Ashton-under-Lyne, UK
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 08:33:03 AM »
oops.. third biggist airline company.. not third company

Offline hydeaway

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 09:19:12 AM »
we were due to come out today and in october with xl have lost the lot GUTTED. Wanted to furnish our new place

Offline Jenny1

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 09:21:07 AM »
I have booked with onthebeach.com to travel to Turkey on 5th October. There is  a freephone number to ring if you have booked on this website, 0800 0 858 859, They say they will sort replacement flights, when you call it says, 'Sorry, all lines are busy, please try later', have been trying for an hour, if anyone is in this situation and manages to sort anything out, can you let me know? :( :( :(
Jen x

Offline blueclad

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 09:28:13 AM »
we almost booked with XL yesterday to fly out next week were so lucky that we did not last night  , We also looked at Monarch flights for next thursday  but were @£259 each  this morning they are at £ 379 what a rip off ,

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 09:37:24 AM »
This is a real blow to the 2,500 people that will probably lose their jobs as well as those who have had the misfortune to book with XL. Those who booked package holidays will probably get their money back but those who just booked flights will only do so if they paid by credit (and some debit) cards and they paid more than £100.

In the current climate I would recommend everyone pays for their tickets via credit card - I know there is usually a charge for this but it must be worth it at the moment.

Who's next I wonder?

Worrying times.

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »
Too true Stoop. The staff they interviewed on TV seemed totally gutted, many seemed to have NO forewarning of their impending unemployment. I remember being on the last flight into Cardiff with XL - the staff were totally gutted that they were after the flight no longer required. To top that they also has a medical emergency leading to a death on the plane. I'm sure they'll always remember their last flight with XL.

There's also another lesson for ALL of us who book flights only. It's also wise to NOT BOOK DIRECT with the airline but book via an ATOL registered company instead.
It surprised me that peiple who booked via freedomflights - who ONLY appear to use XL & actually appear to be XL in another guise are covered whilst people who booked on the XL website aren't - if flight only!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 09:54:56 AM »
Freedom Flights is listed in the paper this morning as an XL owned company. Stupid rules but we have to play by them unfortunately.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 10:33:50 AM »
Damn. I am sat in Nil Bar and just read this. We were due to fly home with XL on the 22nd. Thanks for the warning Linda.

Offline Mr Pickles

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 11:02:27 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Pickles

Unbelievable!!! Fortunately managed to book tickets from Dalaman to Gatwick with Thomas Cook at approximately 6 O'clock this morning for 294 euros for 2 people ..... exactly the same flight now (90 minutes later).....346 euros, talk about capitalising on peoples misfortunes [:(!]

Guess what!!! exactly the same flights are 599 euros :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf