Author Topic: Calis busier than normal.  (Read 5313 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Calis busier than normal.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 18:21:42 PM »
Last night the bars around the Shamrock were very busy and there were lots people walking up and down the seafront. Today at 3 p.m. it was very busy in the bar that we were in and still lots people walking about and not the local Turkish people. For April it is busier than normal. Not just my opinion Brian. We have been to  Beni 25 times, so we know it very well. We eat mostly in the old town as we stayed near there. Oh and the Chinese of course (cheap but crap). Anne x

Offline GarynDen

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 19:10:03 PM »
Pleased to see that tourist numbers appear to be up - its about time people realised that Turkey is nd always has been value for money.  Plus the Turkish people win hands down over the spanish with regard to friendliness and personality.

I personally have managed to persuade four lots of people from work to try it this year and they are all heading for Fethiye area with their families.  God help me if they dont like it!!

We are over in June (first two weeks)- cannot wait!!!
Den

Offline TGAR

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 09:26:25 AM »
Was over at end of September last year, reasonably busy then. What can we expect last week of June first week of July?

Offline hydeaway

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »
the euro is the main factor here we went to amsterdam last month and paid 6.50 euros for A small bottle of beer and Dublin is even dearer enough said

Offline incir

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 14:28:55 PM »
I'm just back and, yes, it was busier than it ever has been in April.  It appeared to me there were lots of home-owners there; tarting up their places & getting everything ready for the summer perhaps.  A friend of mine, who has a lovely home in Fethiye, actually went for an all inclusive in Olu - he was bringing all the family and that worked out cheaper than buying just airfares.  So in Olu they all stayed.

I agree that it is no longer that cheap in Turkey.  Those with their own homes who can have a barbie and a beer on the terrace will do just that and go out less.  And those that go all inclusive don't have much of an incentive to go out to bars and restaurants.  

It will be interesting to see how the season spins out - there is always talk at this time of year of how 'this year will be the best ever'.  It rarely is.  Lets see.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 17:49:27 PM »
I agree, especially with the all inclusive, and the owners, they might stroll up and down the front, but dont stop to eat or drink,then there's the renters,:P(thats us), we only tend to have the odd meal out and usually have a snack at the apartment,I think Calis has definately gone expensive over the years, and that is mainly due to tourists going on about how cheap it is (was),
then you have the Polish visitors, who are renowned for not spending.
So once again its swings and roundabouts, but not all bars and restaurants will agree they are busy,time will tell.

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 18:19:41 PM »
Becoming more popular with East Europeans,acording to a Calis friend.

Offline julesbob0303

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 21:44:23 PM »
We were in Calis last week and it was quite busy most evenings for this time of the year.   8)

Went to Olu Deniz for the day last Tuesday.  Stayed half an hour - it was like a ghost town, plus the sky was black!!  Went back down to Fethiye - it was buzzing (market day) and turned out to be a lovely day!   :)  Ended up in Cafe Pazar where we had a few to drink and enjoyed the quiz night.  :P

Offline philrose

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 05:22:38 AM »
I think one of the problems is that although bookings to Turkey are all up this year, the Fethiye area (Calis, Olu Deniz,etc.)is very under promoted in the UK, with most tour operators cocentrating on places like Marmaris, Bodrum, Kusadasi etc. despite Olu Deniz beach featuring in just about every brochure.
On an average summer flight into Dalaman in my experiance the majority of the passengers are all heading up to Marmaris with only a fraction heading to the Fethiye region.
Yes the beach at Calis does need some serious attention but the local tourism office needs to seriously start promoting the area if they want to get the tourists in.
On the other hand I personaly prefer the peace and quite ;)

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 13:54:26 PM »
 :)could'nt agree more, let them all go to marmaris. ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf