Author Topic: Tortoises, Tortoise,, Tortai  (Read 4820 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Tortoises, Tortoise,, Tortai
« on: June 16, 2009, 19:56:36 PM »

I have some friends arriving later this week, one of the guys is coming for the first time and does not believe me that you can see wild tortoises (running!) around.

While on a bike ride, I saw some last year down by Telemessos but can't remember whether it was later on in the year.

Anyone know a good place to spot them at this time of year?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 19:59:22 PM »
There are plenty of them on the mountain route from Fethiye to Kaya and all around the valley.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 20:02:21 PM »
We see a lot up by us.  If you take the road  past the old Palms Restaurant over the bridge to the cemetary and then carry on that road until the Dalaman road we often see them.  There was a baby  cross in front of us a couple of weeks ago.  We also have a very large old tortoise that walks around the place and can often be seen on the road near the cemetary.   He has also been in our garden a few times.   A friend was telling us that if you find a baby tortoise in the garden it has been dropped by an Owl.  Apparently the owls take the babies and drop them from a great height to try to break the shells.
Jacqui.

Offline lmaddy

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 20:04:45 PM »
Further afield try the the road from Dalyan to Iztutu beach

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 20:09:53 PM »
You'll see one around the Oyken grounds. Wait til you hear this.......When we were there, a very young couple were being sharply spoken to by staff and lots of questions were being asked. there was a lot of commotion around their ground floor balcony. I heard the staff saying that they would need to pay 5lira to replace a towel. It turns out the maid was cleaning the room and as she went to sweep balcony, she found a large cardboard box on it, complete with a very large tortoise inside lying on one of the white room towels. The couple had found it the night before in the street and took it back to the room. They were feeding it greens from the supermarket and were hoping to take it back to the UK..........that was until the Thomson's rep stepped in!!!! They let it go (supposedly) on the road outside, but I last spotted it roaming around the kid's swings area. How naive!

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 20:14:44 PM »
We get lots of them in Deliktas - you have to be careful when driving around not to run any over. Top of the hill is best.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 20:38:42 PM »
We have one that visits our pool for a drink. Last year it left a rather surprisingly large doo as it walked away.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 20:46:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgeous_bird

We have one that visits our pool for a drink. Last year it left a rather surprisingly large doo as it walked away.

Must be something in the water:D

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 21:13:48 PM »
We had two that wandered around some waste land next to the villa we rented.  Grandson was kept amused  for hours looking out for them.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 22:01:00 PM »
Apparently the Turkish name for a tortoise is "Kerplumba". I think that is how it is spelt.

There seem to be a lot of them about this year and I see them about in the Ovacik area nearly every day. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf