Author Topic: Travelling via Istanbul  (Read 3285 times)

Offline maureen

Travelling via Istanbul
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 17:29:52 PM »
Many thanks to all who replied, particularly Scunner for a very clear and concise explanation! I feel happier now :).

Maureen

Offline col

Travelling via Istanbul
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 17:40:06 PM »
Same goes for me, many thanks keith and others

quote:
Originally posted by maureen

Many thanks to all who replied, particularly Scunner for a very clear and concise explanation! I feel happier now :).

Maureen

Offline jackstee

Travelling via Istanbul
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 19:34:47 PM »
Hi all
We, I, have to do the Istanbul then Dalaman flight now as I am living in Qatar. No problems at all the Turkish flights ara great ( especially as most of mine are business class)
However we did find that on Jackies last flight over, the airlines changed in Istanbul and she was not allowed to check her luggage right through.
Had to collect and then re-check in.

Rgds

Offline Pi55y

Travelling via Istanbul
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 17:28:04 PM »
Just to clarify further, what about those starting their journey from Dalaman with Turkish Airlines but changing in Istanbul for the international flight to UK (same airline) - I know we've done this but it was so long ago I've forgotten!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Travelling via Istanbul
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 18:45:37 PM »
If you've done it a long time ago it's all changed anyway  :)

Somewhat strangely, you check in at the domestic terminal who obviously arrange for your luggage to go straight through to the UK airport. Once again you will be greeted as you enter the terminal at Istanbul by a THY employee who will be calling out for any Dalaman arriving passengers who are transit to UK. You are sent through in the correct direction and clear passport/visa control and from there it's laugh at the prices time till your gate is called.

One of discoveries of joy on the round trip this way is that if you leave your car in the long term car park you are very handily positioned for entering the domestic terminal to start your epic journey. Knowing you and Pete you will be taking fairly empty suitcases here, and rather fuller ones back. What a pain in the neck it was for me to arrive back at Dalaman, ham and cheesed to the hilt, to appear from the international terminal and drag my case and bags all the way back to the domestic terminal, where the car was!

So get a transfer or someone to take you and collect you :D

Offline Pi55y

Travelling via Istanbul
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 22:22:50 PM »
Thanks Keith. We have a transfer from the recent Promises Auctions so will make use of this when we go  :).

Offline Honey Bee

Travelling via Istanbul
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 10:44:39 AM »
Foosey / all,

Is it cheaper to travel like this not direct?

Offline Foosey

Travelling via Istanbul
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 11:01:40 AM »
If you book well in advance it can be much cheaper. We had problems when trying to book direct getting flights back especially in the winter season.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 11:02:51 AM by Foosey »

Offline Andrew H

Travelling via Istanbul
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 20:19:00 PM »
Can I just make sure I understand  this thread ,as next spring we want to fly from Gatwick to Istanbul [arriving Ataturk?] stay 3 nights then fly on to Dalaman and then back to Uk from Dalaman.

I assume Ataturk is best airport for ease into Istanbul[so which airline is best?] any  hotels recommended,and can we buy tickets for the Istanbul to Dalaman leg out there, or best to buy in Uk before flying, then assume a one way ticket home from Dalaman.

Does that all make sense?

Offline Foosey

Travelling via Istanbul
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 13:16:38 PM »
Andrew it may be better to buy the tickets in advance for the internal flight.
We are flying to Sabiha Gokcen airport with Pegasus and then the following day flying with turkish airlines to Dalaman from Sabiha Gokcen, my husband prefers this airport because its nearer to where his family lives.
Last year we were going to fly from Dalaman to Istanbul as a surprise visit to see my husbands family at the last minute but the flights were very expensive.
Hope you get sorted.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf