Author Topic: Road tax bill out of the blue  (Read 19939 times)

Offline sandgrounder

Road tax bill out of the blue
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2009, 14:53:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by feznut

by chance we both went to belediye, my wife works in fethiye and i went there without her knowing. (my wife is turk)

we got two figures for our tapu - 172 lira when my wife went and a whopping 944 lira when i enquired.

Did you ask the question why?

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2009, 10:01:11 AM »
very hard to defend the difference between what people pay the only fair solution would be to the unified tax on all or just the user's who already pay high road tax and high fuel duty already, but as most brits don't get a vote in any election in Turkey, only the bill. me thinks another Turkish rip off as they aren't making the cash from property developement/ tourist they will hit property owners for road that we seldom use.

Offline my way

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 10:24:10 AM »
I, too, agree that this smacks of "lets see what we can get from the yabanci". I for one will do the same and consult a solicitor and have it proved that all th owners in my road are paying the same. I live in the road opposite the new VW garage with the builders merchant right in front of me. Since the roads were tarred and pebbled, the owner of the merchants has broken down the fences and now piles his sand and other materials in to the road. Just to rub salt in he uses his JCB to load lorries in the road sometimes blocking the road for hours. I have the photographs of the now mud riddled road again and agree all my Turkish neighbours will not pay for this rubbish. And just to make it all worse, yes now my property floods. The recent rain resulted in my swimming pool filling to the top and me urgently buying a water pump from Fatih (Park do-it-all)to pump out my grounds. Will I pay, No I won't. Not without a fight anyway.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2009, 10:57:59 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by feznut

by chance we both went to belediye, my wife works in fethiye and i went there without her knowing. (my wife is turk)

we got two figures for our tapu - 172 lira when my wife went and a whopping 944 lira when i enquired.

That sounds like a rip off and maybe someone filling their back pocket. Maybe they are on some sort of commission or just like to take foreigners for a ride? We paid a couple of years ago for some road being block paved in Koca Calis. If it happens again I will be consulting a solicitor I think.

Offline scouser2swife

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2009, 13:30:02 PM »
If I knew for certain that my Turkish neighbours were paying the same I would pay it as it's still less than the council tax that I was paying in the U.K, but I really cannot see my working class neighbours paying!! Our road has yet again mostly washed away with all the rain we have had.The road has never been paved, just tarred and stoned. There is a huge crater all down the middle of the road where the sewer pipes were laid last October. I won't pay this bill without a fight, as I pay nearly 800TL per year for car road tax.Anyone know where this is going? This is really unfair on the Brits as we pay more for residency than some other nationalities as well.When will the government and the belydesi wake up and smell the coffee that due to falling interest rates at the banks most of us are cutting back on things, and if they carry on in this way many people will get fed up and return to the U.K.You can only milk a money cow so many times before it kicks back.

Offline my way

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2009, 13:36:49 PM »
I totally agree with you scouser2swife. I forgot to mention that we too have had the road further devastated by the laying of the new sewer pipes, not to mention the damage to my front walls with the digger that the supervisor when questioned just shrugged his shoulders and muttered something in Turkish.

I am begginning to think the British yabanci is not wanted anymore in Turkey. I would like to see how they would get on without our  money. Typical Turkish acumen wanting £1000 now instead of a £5 every year.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2009, 13:53:24 PM »
I'd rather have £1,000 now too. It would take 200 years to get it at a fiver a year and I doubt I'd see it all.

Offline scouser2swife

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2009, 14:00:59 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by my way

I totally agree with you scouser2swife. I forgot to mention that we too have had the road further devastated by the laying of the new sewer pipes, not to mention the damage to my front walls with the digger that the supervisor when questioned just shrugged his shoulders and muttered something in Turkish.

I am begginning to think the British yabanci is not wanted anymore in Turkey. I would like to see how they would get on without our  money. Typical Turkish acumen wanting £1000 now instead of a £5 every year.

Unfortunately this is the Turkish mentality. You see this everyday living here. If you go into any of the small shops you can be charged double or treble what a Turk pays.When I first moved here for 2 weeks our local baker was charging me 1TL for a normal loaf, I only found out it was 35kr when my mate bought some...I have never been back there since. But this mentality is screwing the Turks up because in them trying to make a quick buck, they are doing themselves out of a slow,small profit because many people do not go back to a shop/service that have robbed them!! And they don't realise that Brits do talk to each other and let other people know what's going on.

Offline my way

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2009, 14:10:34 PM »
Scouser2swife,
It is so nice to talk with someone on the same wavelength who actually lives here and understands the Turkish mentality. Someone who feels, as I, that every where I go, I feel as though I am being lined up for a scam. There will be those who will say why do you stay. Thankfully, most of the closest Turkish people to me agree with me make it a pleasure being here and of course advise me.

Does Mr Scunner still live here?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2009, 14:11:50 PM »
No Mr Bill I ran away  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf