Author Topic: Man Utd v A C Milan  (Read 2224 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Man Utd v A C Milan
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 09:10:42 AM »
We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Man Utd v A C Milan
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 11:18:04 AM »
Java,

Listen carefully  ;)

In sport, whether it be snooker, golf football or whatever there is no such thing as 'bad luck'. If you strike the ball wrongly and it misses the hole or net then you have not been unlucky but have played a poor shot. Simples :)

However you CAN be 'lucky' as your poor golf shot might hit a tree and drop in the hole or your poor putt could bobble on something and end up in the hole. Just as Scholes' shot against Milan was one of those 'lucky ' moments.

I never said Vokes was 'unlucky' but that Manu got 'lucky' because he couldn't hit an cow's arse with a banjo in that game (in fact even in League One he was less then prolific for us - hence Wolves got him back). Poor play from him was 'lucky' for Manu.

I still think if you take Rooney out of your team that you will struggle to score. I mean just look at the bench and tell me what quality you have in attack.

It's going to be a tight end to the season and if you can keep Rooney fit then you will have a good chance of retaining the title. If not then Chelsea or Arsenal could win it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:19:54 AM by stoop »

Offline javacoffee

Man Utd v A C Milan
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
Yes in the short term we would struggle if Rooney were to be injured, but the formation and tactic would be changed and we would adapt. For example if Ronaldo was still with us Rooney would not have scored so many this season, Ronaldo went and we have a new focus, Rooney. Now if you take Sir Taggart out of the game that's when we will really come up against it.

The scientists or maths experts would say that luck has nothing to do with anything, probability is the real issue here. Scholes is obviously a better player than Vokes therefore Scholes is a better bet, even on a scuffed shot. I could go on and talk myself into a cul-de-sac on the merits of luck, probability and chaos theory, but I won't. United have more quality for most of the the time and that's what counts. As for the title I agree with Sir Taggart, Arsenal have a great chance of taking it. But only if they are lucky...

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Man Utd v A C Milan
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 09:37:46 AM »
Not sure I'm thinking of the same goal but didn't Scholes try to hit it with his right leg, completely miss it and it bounced in off his left knee?

I'm not sure being a 'better player' makes any difference at all in those type of 'lucky' situations.

Offline denniz

Man Utd v A C Milan
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 14:50:48 PM »
whatever you think is lucky or unlucky winning three prems on the trot cannot and never will be lucky and if we win a fourth well that is down right (you put a word here stoop)
dennis
mutdforever whatever...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf