Author Topic: Can this be true ?  (Read 5294 times)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Can this be true ?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 14:56:09 PM »
It is all swings and roundabouts, when on holiday you have x amount of disposal £'s and not a care in the world, would you spend the same amount in a normal week in the UK? I doubt it.

You can't compare holiday spends with all year living spends.  We are to return soon and to be honest I am saving and preparing for the extra cost.

Offline wickwilly

Can this be true ?
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 17:26:15 PM »
The exchange rate is not helping at the moment, either.Now only 2.30 Lira to the Pound!!.

WW

Offline peecee

Can this be true ?
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 17:36:37 PM »
For an average weekly shop I would agree that Turkey is more expensive than the UK now.  Meat is exorbitant, a crate of efes is now 50tl, wines ridiculously expensive unless you buy the draino.  then when you take into consideration the cost of household cleaning products, toiletries, washing powder etc .  The only thing that is cheaper is fruit and veg. but it is very seasonal and even that is going up in price. I think the price comparison was based on living rather than being on holiday and whereas I could get a weekly shop for around 70/80 tl a couple of years ago that doesn't buy anything now.  You can shop around, Bim, Tansas etc but the savings are minimal.
The cost of living in Turkey has rocketed, petrol 3.77tl a litre!!!

Offline PKHUGHES100

Can this be true ?
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 17:54:30 PM »
I was out a couple of weeks ago and yes, prices have gone up a bit but, watch this space in the UK over the next couple of years!

I would aslo add that the higher prices are worth paying for the joy of the lovely sunny weather, the lovely people and the great surroundings. We also shopped around and had lots of bargains, the Efes was 3.5Tl and lunch for two with salad, a drink, bread and Kebabs cost me £11 not bad!!

Kevin

Offline pasha

Can this be true ?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 21:47:19 PM »
I have been in Turkey for 21 years, never have I seen prices rocket like they have in the last year or so.

I had some idea that this would happen, so being a 'belt and braces' type of person I sold my property here and now rent, so have no real ties.

When the sh*t really hits the fan, and prices go through the roof, I am afaid that it will be time to say goodbye and look for pastures new.

I still own a house in the UK that I have been sitting on for a rainy day, but it looks like I will be living in it for a lot of rainy days!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Can this be true ?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 09:53:15 AM »
OK, I'll try again. Here are the 2010 figures. I assume exchange rate approx 2.24 TL = £1. So cup of coffee = 5TL. That makes a meal for 2 = 130TL - surely not?

Cup of coffee (Bar/café) .       Ã‚£2.24    

Bottle of Heineken (Bar/café)   .     Ã‚£2.24       

Bottle/can Coca Cola (Bar/cafe)   .    Ã‚£2.24    

Bottle of mineral water (Supermarket) .     Ã‚£0.51    

Suncream Factor 15 (Supermarket)  .    Ã‚£5.59    

Insect repellent (Supermarket)    .    Ã‚£1.79    

Pack of Marlboro Lights cigarettes .     Ã‚£2.46    

3 course evening meal for 2 adults .     £58.14       
(including bottle of house wine) in a local restaurant      

TOTAL COSTS    .    Ã‚£75.21    

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:09:11 AM by Colwyn »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Can this be true ?
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
Nice to see that Insect repellent and Heineken prices continue to fall in Turkey  ;)

Offline PKHUGHES100

Can this be true ?
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 10:41:41 AM »
You are all depressing me, just purchased, should I sell already LOL!!
I have been reading various articles on the Turkish economy recently and they are not predicting that the currency is going to go POP. Surely the situation in Turkey is no different to any place in the world at the moment, the world economy needs to improve and the Turkish one is no different. The forthcoming elections in the UK will also have a destabilising effect, especially if there is a hung parliament. That said, my view is that "what goes around comes around", the pound has been weak before and I am sure it will recover, as it has done before giving us more lira, it is the weak pound that has been the major catalyst to a lot of the increased prices. Sit tight and continue to enjoy the country and the people, which surely it is all about!
Kevin, for ever the optimist  :).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:42:49 AM by PKHUGHES100 »

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Can this be true ?
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 12:42:49 PM »
We can argue about this forever and never agree. There is one common theme that I agree with is that people who permanently live in Turkey do notice the difference in prices when they visit the UK. I have noticed how more expensive some essentials are in Turkey.

I also think that British prices are driven down by the level of competition as every reasonable sized town has at least 2 or more of the big chain supermarkets. Another impact on prices in the UK is the recession and it has driven prices down. The UK rate of inflation is about 3% in comparison to Turkey at 10%. Simple maths proves over time Turkish prices must overtake UK prices. This is accelerated when you take in the devaluation in sterling against the TL.

Offline Robw

Can this be true ?
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 14:56:39 PM »

So how much on average do you spend on a weekly shop in Turkey? Ive just been to Tesco and for a family of three i spent £140.00 which is our average. Id be interested to see the comparisons :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf