Author Topic: Can this be true ?  (Read 5296 times)

Offline starman™

Can this be true ?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 15:00:45 PM »
Went to a restaurant last Saturday. For two we had a starter each then a main course. One bottle of decent wine, one dessert we shared and a couple of cocktails. Price was 670 lira. Last night we went to another place and had the same sort of meal and it was 184 lira. It all depends where you go so stats are meaningless.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Can this be true ?
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 15:02:51 PM »
I worked out a while back that if you consider the average wage in Turkey & UK, and work out how much a litre of petrol costs in relation to that, average wage earning Turkish people would pay the equivalent of £11/litre. That is probably higher now as petrol prices have risen by rather a lot and the average wage hasn't.

Offline starman™

Can this be true ?
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 15:10:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Robw

So how much on average do you spend on a weekly shop in Turkey? Ive just been to Tesco and for a family of three i spent £140.00 which is our average. Id be interested to see the comparisons :D

Normally around 350-400 TL we spend every week in Macrocenter.

Offline valleyboy

Can this be true ?
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 15:56:57 PM »
Increases are inevitable, simplicity is often the answer.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Can this be true ?
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 16:05:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by starmanTM

Went to a restaurant last Saturday . . . Price was 670 lira.

Blimey, living rather high on the hog there, Starman - if such things are allowed in Turkey. Remember we are talking about a survey of holiday costs and in the Aegean and Mediterranean resorts of Turkey 670TL gets you a 3* hotel double room and half board for week.

Offline tonysue

Can this be true ?
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 18:08:12 PM »
You only have to look around the Fethiye region to see the difference in prices from one place to the next for holiday makers in Turkey. I can only comment on last years prices. Efes price in Calis 3.5 lira, Hisaronu 5 lira, Olu deniz 6 lira. Pretty much the same price differential on a glass of coke. I understand prices are double that in the Alanya area. Still a long way to go until it catches up with the Eurozone.

Offline Chinook

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 18:23:29 PM »
With the price of a meal accounting for over 77% of the total basket cost it isn't surprising that a cursery glance at the list from cheapest to dearest almost mirrors that of the assessed cost of a meal

http://ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/pw/holidaycostsbarometer.pdf

Offline chewyturk

Can this be true ?
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 18:45:40 PM »
Prices have risen steeply in the 3 years i've been here. It's easy to spend 200TL in Migros, and realise you haven't got anything to make a decent meal!

Offline starman™

Can this be true ?
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 05:50:23 AM »
Colwyn, What I was trying to point out that there is cheap and out of this world expensive. Thats why I take no notice of stats. You can find a 15,000 USD per month rental here but you can also find a 500 USD per month rental here.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf