Author Topic: Chelsea  (Read 2710 times)

Offline javacoffee

Chelsea
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 09:06:25 AM »
As a United fan it's been a funny season for me, I've watched some belting games at OT, watched some dross as well, Wigan, Leeds and Wolves at home for instance. As for the title well, Chelsea deserve it they have the most points and that's that well done pat on the back now let's see if they can win it three on the trot. It's funny but they still look and play like Jose's team, how long will that last I wonder.

Also I'm not 'bovvered' about the the character of any player, I'm only interested in watching him play football. I remember singing along with a few thousand others that Vinny Jones was a *anker, it then dawned on me that although I didn't think he was the best of players on that pitch, he was playing and I was paying. Who's the *anker now I said to myself.

So from then on I have never really wasted my time hating this or that player, I want to watch good football full stop. How can you not watch say Ashley Cole and think, yes I'd have in my team, he's brilliant. I would not want Liverpool to win at tiddywinks but Torres Carragher and Reina have been great to watch this season, in my opinion.  I just don't get hating a player because he's a sulker or cheats on his wife, I'm not paying good money to judge his bedroom antics I'm paying to watch him play football.

On the role model aspect, yes they do have a duty, why not introduce a sin bin for decent, any back chat or swearing at the ref then your off for 10 minutes. No booking required you have just cost your team big time. Just a thought.

Actually there was a bright moment in the Wolves game, Michael Mancciane, he had Rooney in his pocket all night what a brilliant game he had.

Anyway now the season has ended COME ON ENGLAND! Whoever is picked from whatever team I hope they play well and win, I don't suppose the Jocks, Micks and Taffs will be too happy but who cares, COME ON ENGLAND!

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Chelsea
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 10:58:15 AM »
Thats a great post Java,

Come on England.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Chelsea
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 11:31:32 AM »
It's a surprising post from JC I'd say that :D

I can't agree with one point. Ashley Cole is not brilliant. No Chelsea player is. I can't think of any player really who is 'brilliant'. They do good things sometimes but just how brilliant can you be when kicking a ball? A player scores with a 30 yard volley into the top corner and almost invariably we hear the commentator scream "That's brilliant!!!". Well, I don't think it is. Someone who gets paid for kicking a ball should be able to do it quite effectively. To score with a long kick isn't "brilliant", it's what they do. It might be an effective example of their talent, but that doesn't make it "brilliant".

If I did it, that would be closer to brilliant, because I did it with far less talent and it could qualify as brilliant through my chances of doing such a thing being much lower and far less expected. If a giraffe did it, now that would definitely have to be considered as brilliant, but not someone who is at the top of their tree for doing exactly what they just did, kicked a ball and got it to go where they intended.

Discuss? :D

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Chelsea
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 13:02:34 PM »
Brilliance is in the eye of the beholder :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Chelsea
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 13:10:15 PM »
I don't think so  :)

I believe there can be flashes of brilliance from these top players but maybe once or twice in the careers of one or two percent of them. Scoring from 30 yards is not brilliant from a top division player, I've seen loads of top division players score from 30 yards. A Zola or Bergkamp moment perhaps brilliant, but there haven't been many in my lifetime  ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Chelsea
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 15:21:50 PM »
Bank's save from Pele in 1970 [?]

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Chelsea
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 15:40:45 PM »
Actually, for me no [:o]

This might make a good topic of it's own [?]

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Chelsea
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 15:43:51 PM »
Was think the very same - which IS worrying ;)

Perhaps not just confined to fitba :)

Offline scorcher

Chelsea
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 15:51:55 PM »
I think that to be a fair comment,Keith.Brilliant is akin to that much abused word " unique " . Brilliance to my mind is consistent excellence and that is very hard to achieve.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Chelsea
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 15:59:26 PM »
New topic {A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}35489

Interesting Frank, so you can't see something that took 2 seconds to achieve qualifying as brilliant? Anyway, we have a new topic to discuss this  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf