Author Topic: Returning to Europe with pets  (Read 15199 times)

Offline starman™

Returning to Europe with pets
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 14:03:14 PM »
Sounds fantastic. I speak with jealously as I have to share a city with 15 million.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 18:42:30 PM »
Wow! That is a lot.
I would not like to live in an area as quiet as this all the time though. It is suitable for the moment because of the dogs. It is also summer and the winter may not be so pleasant. :)

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 12:29:01 PM »
We are gradually training our big dog to come back to us at the end of a walk. We have found that the acres of forest in the area are full of tracks and very quiet so he can be let off the lead to romp about to his hearts content. There are no people or animals other than cows in the fields.He does go to drink at their drinking place though and comes back with legs smothered in mud!We carry a peice of ham and some biscuits in a shoulder bag and when we want him to go back on the lead at the end of a walk the ham is a good bribe!
I thought that it would be a good idea to do blackberry picking at the same time as exercising the dogs but that did not work very well as he runs off. There are blackberries growing wild all over the place so I go off with a bag and stick to pick them without the dogs.
Cycling is very popular here and some people,even whole families have cycled over to Turkey. They usually take the Austrian route.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:30:53 PM by Daffodil »

Offline terrie

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 19:53:03 PM »
Thank you for sharing this with us, people do ask us [ANIMAL AID] how they go about returning to England with there pets so will keep reading your post with intrest.
Also so good to here of somebody actually caring about there dogs future.
We see so many dogs and cats left here by there owners it really is very very sad.
looking forward to next read.
regards Animal aid.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 09:14:17 AM »
We are glad that where we are living is in a rural area in France. There are laws about dogs barking .You are allowed a guard dog in the garden but if it barks between 10pm and 7am above 35 decibels you may be fined 450euros. Thankfully we are out in the country and have not had any trouble. Our dog has barked sometimes at cats I think. I wonder what 35 decibels sounds like!

You need to be vigilant about using Frontline every month in the spring and summer. Coypu are pretty common apparently here in France and they can spread disease so vaccinations are important.

There are some lovely areas about here and we may buy a plot of land for a little bungalow.I would like one of the lovely metal front doors that you can buy in Turkey. Wonder where I could buy one here!
Also the curtain track that is able to take three lots of curtains at a time. Has anyone found it available in England?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 13:17:01 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 17:39:51 PM »
Lennie, our half kangal, is finally settling down and losing some of the mannerisms that he had from his days of roaming the streets. He does not run away as much as he used to. For his safety and to ensure that he does not do any thing stupid we have him on a long chain. Every now and then he used to escape and be disappear for most of the day. Now if he gets off he tends to go for half an hour. He is usually up the lane or in the field across from us. We now let him off the lead in the forest and he is getting to know the routine. Initially when we used to let him off he would run away. Although always in view he would not come near us. Now he runs off and comes back every so often for a fuss and a play. He knows that at the end of the run he gets some treats so he is happy to come back and be put back on a lead.

We had been using the flea and tick collars but one that we bought in Turkey before we left was not working properly. Holly, our border collie got a bad infestation of fleas and this resulted in a serious allergy. She has been under the vets care for the past 2 weeks and it still is not fully gone. She hae to be washed with special shampoo every 2 days and cream applied to the infected area 3 times a day. She also is on a course of antibiotics. Every time I call her she shoots off because she knows that something else is going to be done to her.We now use frontline. The vets bill for sorting out her allergy was 200 Euros. In France it is cheaper to see a doctor than to see a vet.

We like it so much here that we are seriously considering coming to live here. We need to return to the UK for 18 months and then we will qualify through age for medical care in France. Parts of France are suffering badly from migration from the country areas to the city. In some towns the population has dropped by up to 50% since 1962. To encourage people to live in the areas the local Mayors offices are selling land at very cheap prices. We have been offered 1100 m2 for 7,000 Euros including all fees.

Offline Eric

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 20:01:11 PM »
"We need to return to the UK for 18 months and then we will qualify through age for medical care in France. Parts of France are suffering badly from migration from the country areas to the city. In some towns the population has dropped by up to 50% since 1962. To encourage people to live in the areas the local Mayors offices are selling land at very cheap prices. We have been offered 1100 m2 for 7,000 Euros including all fees."

Hi, Can you give more info on both these aspects?  i.e. what age for medical care and what area of France are the 'offers' on land.
Thanks

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 20:09:23 PM »
Eric I will email the details to you.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 21:17:19 PM »
For health care issues you have to really look into individual situations.
The Department of Work and Pensions number is 44 191218 1999.
The French Health Service is 33820904212.(English language)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 21:21:16 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Eric

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 21:20:04 PM »
Thanks, got the e-mails

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf