Author Topic: To taxi or to hire a car ?  (Read 3010 times)

Offline CocknioDicanio

To taxi or to hire a car ?
« on: June 18, 2010, 13:08:05 PM »
Hi

I am staying near Calis in Gunlukbasi from 15th to 25th of July. Some releatives of mine stayed in the same apartment a couple of years ago and warned me that there was nothing to do and it was boring. Funny how people differ so much isn;t it ? I've been on the www and discovered umpteen beaches (including the not-to-be-missed Iztuzu), mud baths, archeological sites, tombs, white water rafting, fishing, diving, at least three markets a gorge and a butterfly valley ! Not sure when I'll find the time to sit on a beach and read the 6 books I've bought but I'll try.

I'm sure there are some people on this forum who know all about all of the activites I've mentioned without me being too specific so my question is this :  

Can I get to and from all of the above easily by Dolmus ?

If not is it worth me hiring a car for all 11 days rather than try to get to them by taxi ?

I have been quoted £220 for 7 days car hire and £280 for 11 days car hire and it would cost me £70 anyway for the transfer to / from the airport. So I will admit that I am leaning towards the car hire but I thought I'd ask  for local advice.

Many thanks in advance

Offline peecee

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 13:50:49 PM »
Depending on how many of these things you intend to do think would be easier to hire a car.  Taxis to most of those places would be expensive.  Dolmus (they are all a fair distance away) would be unbearable in the Summer heat (today it's around 36/40 degrees!) and you'd probably be exhausted by the time you got there.
There are a number of car hire companies, you could probably negotiate a better price (they sound expensive) when here.  Sure there are members who can recommend car hire companies in Fethiye, Oscar being one, there's loads of them.  I think the average going price for a little car is £25 per day.
Have a great holiday.
(ps please leave your read books in one of the restaurants for us literate-starved people :)!Cheers)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 13:53:03 PM by peecee »

Offline elaina

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 14:06:32 PM »
Try Pegasus Rent a car.  They have a deal on at the moment - a small 4 door Air Conditioned car like a Hyundai Getz is £130 per week with all insurances.  I hired from them for the last three weeks and can certainly recommend them.  They were there at the airport despite the flight being over 2 hours late and were there this morning when i dropped the car off. There are no extra charges for delivery to airport either.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 14:07:10 PM by elaina »

Offline BM06

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 14:14:21 PM »
Good advice, from PC and Elaina ;), Mike, just be careful when you drive out here its nothing like home:D make sure you get a car with AC and upgrade  your insurance to fully comp, you can get all sorts of deals on trips from the right company (make sure they do not do the dolphin trip see posts on forum) the butterfly valley trip you need a boat unless you are a mountain goat (but with them legs who knows:D)take care and have a great stay in Turkey, i bet you get the bug ;):D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 14:16:16 PM by BM06 »

Offline CocknioDicanio

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 14:29:01 PM »
Thank you Peecee BM06 and Elaina for your advice. I'll try the car hire place suggested.

I'm not a great swimmer (I swim depths, not lengths) so I might give the rafting a miss but the rest of my family are practically amphibians so they'll do it. Fishing is a must. The turtle beach is a must. A market or two is a must. A few days lying on the beach is also a must ! The other three love diving and I might snorkel on a boat trip so I suppose that counts as a must too.  

I've driven in Crete, Rhodes, Tenerife and France (dozens of times) so I'm used to taking my life in my hands on roads in Europe but I will drive defensively.

Thanks again

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 16:04:53 PM »
My rule for driving in Turkey - "It's your country. You always have right of way".

Offline CocknioDicanio

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 16:07:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by peecee

Depending on how many of these things you intend to do think would be easier to hire a car.  Taxis to most of those places would be expensive.  Dolmus (they are all a fair distance away) would be unbearable in the Summer heat (today it's around 36/40 degrees!) and you'd probably be exhausted by the time you got there.
There are a number of car hire companies, you could probably negotiate a better price (they sound expensive) when here.  Sure there are members who can recommend car hire companies in Fethiye, Oscar being one, there's loads of them.  I think the average going price for a little car is £25 per day.
Have a great holiday.
(ps please leave your read books in one of the restaurants for us literate-starved people :)!Cheers)

I'll leave my books wherever you suggest and maybe I'll print off the completed chapters of the family holiday memoirs I've been writing for years too. Our family holidays always contain (mis)adventures !  On the other hand that might bump up my baggage allowance too much so I might have to email them :)

Offline CocknioDicanio

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 16:12:23 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn

My rule for driving in Turkey - "It's your country. You always have right of way".

LOL

Especially buses, trucks and taxis ?

I love driving abroad but I went to Egypt last year and didn't  drive and I thank my lucky stars ! We only met lovely people but put them behind the wheel of a car and they become as mad as a bag of spanners !

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 16:30:31 PM »
You could also try Nikkie (Sunnyd) on the Forum who will get you a quote and you will get the CBF discount.  We got our car through her and were very pleased with it, as it was brand new.

Offline booo

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 18:32:44 PM »
Express Holiday Rental hire care for £20 a day when you book for a week and no charge to hire from Dalaman if you book for a week or more.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf